XTR v SLR wheels - please help me choose !

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Sorry if this looks like a "oooh check out my wheels" post but life's too short so I went a bit crazy and bought both of my top wheel choices for my Scalpel build as both happened to come up for sale slightly after each other in the same week ! Why does that always happen ? So now need to choose which of the pair to keep. Can't keep both but just couldn't miss out on having this option - lucky sod yes ? :roll:
Nothing in it really weight wise once rotors and skewers are accounted for. The SLRs edge out the Shimano wheels in the end mainly due to the titianium skewers but the XTR's actually feel lighter for some reason maybe the scandium rims or sexy red nipples !
Also liking the XTR centrelock rotors as definitely the best looking discs but the SLR's are well they're SLR's aren't they ?
So which ones would you keep ?

Attachments

• slrwheels.jpg
    slrwheels.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • xtrwheels.jpg
    xtrwheels.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,054
Looks like you've already chosen yourself, personally I'd go SLR, but then they look amazing.. Plus you've got too consider, the XTR CL rotors are only one design. SLR are 6 bolt. Look at makers like Ashima. Mightn't look too strong but IMO some of their stuff looks WAY better than the XTR.

IWish":12pdo7cm said:
Looks like you've already chosen yourself, personally I'd go SLR, but then they look amazing.. Plus you've got too consider, the XTR CL rotors are only one design. SLR are 6 bolt. Look at makers like Ashima. Mightn't look too strong but IMO some of their stuff looks WAY better than the XTR.

I wasnt going to decide but did think i prefer 6 bolt rotor.

^Thats pretty good reasoning.

for looks, it is going to be SLR; I have pair, later model with the machined sidewalls and with after market green Ti skewer (skewers should not be part of you decision since there is a vast choice). you will need special spoke key for them plus the bearings are a known weak spot and not easy to replace (need to be pressed in).

for performance, XTR is a good as it gets in my opinon but not exciting to look at - the SLRs are not as light as you would expect/hope - are you able to weigh both pairs? (SLRs are in the regoin of 1450 g). anyting under 1400g is good going.

SLR have more potential to shave weight by means of Ti rotor botls and lighter rotors e.g. hope floating or kcnc razor (anything less you are talking aluminium alloy/Ti disc and many ££££s) ; in comparison XTR centre lock are a fair bit heavier.

The rim on the SLR should be undriled so are tubless ready.

the sensible solution is to fit the SLRs and buy another frame for the XTRs :?

Lots of love for the SLR's then. :) Can't say I blame you they are lovely and these are absolutely immaculate with the wheel bags etc a very nice package. So why do I keep coming back to the XTR's ??? :?

I have weighed them up ....

SLR front 716g rear 863g skewers 87g = 1666g - not as light as I thought ?
XTR front 710g rear 854g skewers 116g = 1680g - lardy skewers ! shame as they look great.

As for rotors I'm really taken with the XTR design but they aren't light at 126g with the lockring but its pretty much on a par with the Avid G3 (105g) when you add in the 6 bolts (12g)

Think I'll keep eating the bread and water for a few days and get them onto the Scalpel to see how each looks on the bike.

Two VERY nice sets of wheels! Think I'd have to go SLR purely on a looks basis. XTR wheels have a more subtle look to them. The SLR's just look amazing.

The XTRs are good, no nonsense wheels.
The SLRs are, well, kinda gash, don't you think? Big Logos and aero spokes, on a VTT..? :roll:
Add in the known bearing problems (won't be cheap!), and you have a no brainer.
The XTR discs may be a tad heavier than other rotors, but that big old chunk of aluminium is an excellent heat sink to help stop your brakes fading.

I was thinking pretty much the same. The XTRs are subtle, maybe too much so. Its the "gash" yellow/red graphics on the SLRs which aren't doing it for me so perhaps could just take these off but leaving the white SLR decals. The Scalpel isn't exactly a "quiet" looking frame and being so fat tubed the super skinny spokes of the XTRs make it look like Jo Brand in high heels ! Arrrgh. Sell both and get some Fulcrum carbons ?

I have the same SLRs and i must say i prefer the looks of the SLR over the XTR but if you damage a spoke on the SLR it will cost you alot more. I had to replace 2 :x

Back