Pace RC36 Stealth

Rampage

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've had some of these arrive today and have to admit to not knowing anything about them!
There are plastic caps covering tubes on the bottom of the fork, what are these for?
Are they spring sprung? Or air?
Anything you have to do to keep them working fine?

Thanks.

You were asking earlier for comments on how the RC36 compared to retro Z2s, but the Stealth is a much later fork, c2003, so it's well outside the parameter for this part of the forum and maybe the comments you received, certainly mine, are not relevant to your fork.

Really?
I though RC36's were all circa 1997? On the Goatsurfer website RC36's started to come out in 1997. Do I take it then that they didn't make all the incarnations of the RC36 before the RC37, RC38 etc came out?

Thanks.

Goatsurfers website does not cover the later one-piece forks.

AFAIK RC36 Stealths are essentially the same as the earlier RC36 forks - just with the much stiffer later legs.

Rampage":244qejm5 said:
I though RC36's were all circa 1997? On the Goatsurfer website RC36's started to come out in 1997. Do I take it then that they didn't make all the incarnations of the RC36 before the RC37, RC38 etc came out?
No, they weren't sequential. The RC37 and RC38 were different types of fork, and the RC36 outlasted both of them.

RC36 Stealth Hollowform I think appeared in 2002. They were quickly upgraded to include a remote lockout. I bought a set when they first appeared, and still have them. They were given a complete rebuild by Tim (Justbackdated) last year, but prior to that simply had grease pumped into them at very regular intervals, and gave 10 years of trouble-free service. The only reason they went to Tim was for a change of steerer and crown. The steerer is bonded and not interchangeable as on the earlier 36.
I don't think they have the good looks of the classic Pace forks, but they are light and work well.

RC36 Stealth are essentially a 2002 RC36 Pro Class 2 with a slightly longer spring stack[extended stanchion base plug] and the 'Hollowform' 1 piece carbon slider assembly. The crown was a redesigned chinese import that was universal across the RC36/RC38 range at the time.

They first appeared in 2003.

Coil sprung on one leg only[4 positive springs/1 topout] with oil damper in other leg. Lockout system was introduced later and is interchangeable with the standard control valve.

The black caps are there just to keep muck out/finish the rod ends[and let grease/oil out!! ;) ]

Change your circlips occasionally for safety :D ;)

Back