Shimano 105 Calipers

alans27

Old School Hero
Hello!!!! Ok I own a Scott Speedster S50 flatty bar and the upgrade bug has caught me with it. When I got it I didn't really intend to do much with it as i've got a Marin MTB as well and that's my pride and joy. But the Scott, with that black and white paint job is a really nice looking bike. Infact it attracts far more attention than my Marin yet only cost half as much!

Anyway.. upgrades time it is!! So i've got a few bits on order and just wanted to chat about the subject of brake calipers. Shimano 105 ones, what are they like? The standard brakes are Tektro which whilst I know if I switch the pads the Tektro will work well, I just think some nice 105 calipers will add a bit of bling and enhance the look of the bike that bit more. But do the 105 calipers actually work well? I did consider the Sram Apex calipers but upon searching the net it seems to me the 105 are more highly rated.

Attachments

• 2109-1.jpg
    2109-1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 334
funny this, I had a Tektro on the back of a bike and a 105 up front... guess which had more power and feel?

Correct, it was the Shimano!

Dead Rats":24gn61nw said:
funny this, I had a Tektro on the back of a bike and a 105 up front... guess which had more power and feel?

I'm so glad you said the Shimano!! lol! I've already ordered the calipers you see so if you had said the Tektro i'd have been gutted!!

I've also had a phone call from my LBS to say the chainset i've ordered had arrived. It's only a tiagra, I don't see the point in paying nearly double for a 105!!

Before you buy the 105 brakes make sure the Tektros currently fitted aren't the deep (57mm) drop type that allow more clearance for mudguards. If they then you will have to buy Shimano's 57mm drop brakes like the R450 or R650.

alans27":ds1stkoo said:
Dead Rats":ds1stkoo said:

I'm so glad you said the Shimano!! lol! I've already ordered the calipers you see so if you had said the Tektro i'd have been gutted!!

I've also had a phone call from my LBS to say the chainset i've ordered had arrived. It's only a tiagra, I don't see the point in paying nearly double for a 105!!

guess it could have been the pads :LOL: no, the Shimano was definitely better - as it should be for the extra £. Good point by James BTW.

Thank you James for the advice, luckily I did already check that so if they arrive and don't fit ....... I'll blame the tape measure!! Ha ha!

Nah I'm sure it'll be fine.

Ooops!!

You were right, I did need to check the drop length!! The older Tektros already fitted to the Scott were longer than the new 105's by about 3mm at most!! How annoying!! lol! Another 2-3mm and the 105's would have been fine but I just could not get the pads low enough to avoid the tyre. Never mind, back to the drawing board!! Lol!

Infact does that sound right to you lot? A difference in caliper length of just 3mm? It was proably less than that, it was that close!! But the pad would definitly not adjust down, I had it right on the bottom of the caliper and it still just about caught the tyre. Only the very top edge though.

Latest posts

Back