Dave Yates 853 Custom Build :)

Andy B

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
As I approach 40 this year I was thinking that I might treat myself to something special as it seems to be de rigueur

I've been mulling over what to do for some months now & it's been a long journey getting to this point

I was thinking of buying a nice high end off the peg frame, maybe a Curtis as I'd loved them ever since I set eyes on them

Then my search grew to include the much loved Cotic Soul, Sanderson Life, Pace RC104, the new Saracen Kili, the Orange R8....

Things were starting to get a little complicated with so much choice

I knew I wanted something British and with Reynolds tubing so that narrowed it down a bit.

Reynolds 853

Now I had a starting point!

Then I decided to go the whole hog, custom built

After seeing fillet brazed frames in the flesh I knew it had to be done on my bike

I love the clean simplicity of it & although my modern bike is quite cluttered in design (and the amount of cables & hoses it has, 6 in all) I do prefer the cleaner lines of my retro bikes

So custom built fillet brazed Reynolds 853. We have a starting point!

Then the search began for a frame builder

I spoke to a couple of frame builders before making my choice.

Luckily the most local frame builder to me (that I'm aware of) has a very good reputation for top quality work, he's also very down to earth and has a no bull approach. Just the kinda guy I wanted to build my frame.

So after an hour an a half discussing my frame & other bikes he's built in his long an illustrious career spanning over 30 years decisions were made!

So who is this man?

Dave Yates

Yup, I'm getting a Dave Yates custom built fillet brazed Reynolds 853 frame. It's only just beginning to sink in now :D

I am seriously excited and I still have about 3-4 months before it's built!

I cannot wait to see & ride the finished frame, which will be built with lashings of UK made produce

I was hoping to have this bike for Mountain Mayhem, but it's going to be cutting it very fine to have the bike by then. These things take time and the wait will be worth it, of that I'm 100% sure.

Now who wants to buy a Titanium frame?

Russell":2eh0p9mx said:
Oooh, lovely.

What geometry are you going for and how did you work out the numbers?
pretty standard geometry based on a 120mm fork, with a 495mm a-c. Dave worked the numbers out based on his vast knowledge and a bit of input from me. Think the head angle is 68 degrees, measured static and the seat angle is 70 static, so with sag the angles should be 69 head and 71 seat.

Lucky you!

Have you thought about postponing your birthday until you can get on his course and build it yourself with him? That's what I'd love to do.

phill77":ybiib2pg said:
Lucky you!

Have you thought about postponing your birthday until you can get on his course and build it yourself with him? That's what I'd love to do.
Whilst a frame building course is one way to do it, I'd personally prefer to have Dave build my bike even though I learnt to fillet braze at school, I work in the cycle trade full time and kinda see enough of bikes through the week. If I had a different profession I would consider the frame building course, I'm gonna have more than enough fun getting and fitting the parts to the frame

This is what I love about the internet.

Back in the day, unless a mate was getting one made, you would have to order one yourself to get in on the vibe.

Magic to hear people buying proper bikes, and be able to vicariously enjoy the process.

Nice idea. Just one problem.
Fillet brazing is not the ideal way to join 853. It doesn't generate enough heat to strengthen the joint in the same way that tig does.
Maybe Dave will be applying a "faux" fillet over a tig weld? Shouldn't really be necessary. A good weld is a thing of beauty, and Dave is a very good welder.

Back