Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

how to justify a big purchase?!
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=193633

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  how to justify a big purchase?!

so, have been to the Bespoked Bristol show,

i am leaning towards Royce hubs, i want to build my Demon with different parts than i usually would use so i have some choices:-

chris king hubs £570 rrp
royce hubs standard £450 rrp
royce hubs, racing gold £1150 :shock: :shock:

hope seem cheap by comparison!!

i'll give you 3 guesses which ones i want! :P

i would prefer to use british parts if possible and being honest i hate the noise king hubs make but i can't deny that visually they look great.

i am not overly keen on Gold as a colour but the finish on Cliffs hubs (thanks to all the polishing by his employee Robin) is awesome. also part of the reason they are so expensive is that the entire hub shell is made from one block of titanium, then they are titanium nitrided.

so, how can i possibly justify £1150 for a set of hubs??!! come on convince me!

here's some pics!
:D

Attachments:
royce racing gold.jpg
royce racing gold.jpg [ 100.55 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]
royce 'standard'.jpg
royce 'standard'.jpg [ 87.54 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]
chriss king hubs.jpg
chriss king hubs.jpg [ 73.25 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]

Author:  tintin40 [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

You can't have the gold hubs you aren't a chav, live in Essex, Have gold teeth, wear jeans round your knee caps, have a gold chain.....

Gold is naff. What was Royce thinking :roll:

Author:  suburbanreuben [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

And the advantages over the standard hubs are?
Lighter?
Better bearings?
Better freehub?

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

suburbanreuben wrote:
And the advantages over the standard hubs are?
Lighter?
Better bearings?
Better freehub?

just checked the website, it doesn't say what advantages there are except something about the braking forces.

my guess would be similar weight, but it's the hardness of the Ti nitriding should make them literally last forever, but the shell and freehub is titanium where as the titanium on the standard hub is only the freehub body.

my thoughts are that i am building this bike to be the best it can be, so these hubs are the best, and i intend this bike to be my main bike for atleast 5 years if not longer so assuming they last well and no reason to think they wouldn't they become good value through longevity . . . or am i really stretching that argument?!! :lol:

and tintin, i know what you mean about gold but ti-nitriding is gold only as far as i know, and i bet Cliff didn't choose to do it because of it being gold, that would have been a secondary concern by a mile, Cliff is an obsessive engineer.

Author:  theredchili [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Use the force Jon , use the force

If you want the perfect build , no compromises 8)

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

compromise, that's it, there should be no compromise 8)

Author:  suburbanreuben [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

jonnyboy666 wrote:
compromise, that's it, there should be no compromise 8)

Sorted!
What other justification do you need?
(unless it's to the missus... :shock: )

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

she got fired a while ago :wink:

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:20 pm ]
Post subject:  .

You'll never genuinely justify them, so just buy em 8)

Author:  Dickyboy [ Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:35 am ]
Post subject: 

Bought myself a 50th birthday present (Genesis Altitude Ti) when I was 46, seemed justifiable enough to me :wink:

Author:  BerthaPog [ Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:59 am ]
Post subject: 

As others have said - you can't really justify them, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get them.

As to which to get, maybe wait until you've got the frame painted, and work out if they will suit the build - something that bling could make or break a builds looks.

Failing that, just buy em and either use them if they suit the build, or leave them on the shelf as art/bikepron if they don't.

Author:  dyna-ti [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Go for the royce.Local builder was tempting me with a pair a couple of weeks ago
Really lovely hubs 8)

Author:  Andy R [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:35 am ]
Post subject: 

tintin40 wrote:
You can't have the gold hubs you aren't a chav, live in Essex, Have gold teeth, wear jeans round your knee caps, have a gold chain.....

Gold is naff. What was Royce thinking :roll:

Agree totally - just like gold taps and towel warmers and that sort of stuff, far too chav-ish. I hate them with a vengence
:evil:

Author:  brocklanders023 [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:27 am ]
Post subject: 

IMO no one could ever justify paying that much for hubs. Twice as much as Kings? :shock:

That's not the point though. If you can afford them and want them then you don't need to justify it. It's your cash :wink:

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:37 am ]
Post subject: 

it would wipe out a months wages after bills and leave me with nothing for that month and i'd have to live on beans on toast for the month! :lol:

i get that most people think the gold is tacky, i would usually agree, but this is not gold ano for the sake of bling, it's ti nitriding and that's way cooler than ano.

i think these transcend 'bling'

if i did get them i'd hope that picking them up in person from Royce (20miles away) that i'd get a little discount, he knocked a little off a previous purchase for saving the cost and hassle of postage.

Author:  saltyman [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38 am ]
Post subject: 

:shock:

yeah, i cant complain the prices i have spent on parts then sold them at next to nothing :lol: :oops:

Author:  tintin40 [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

brocklanders023 wrote:
If you can afford them and want them then you don't need to justify it. It's your cash :wink:

That's all need to do 8)

So buy them and show us

Author:  neebsta [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

jonnyboy666 wrote:
it would wipe out a months wages after bills and leave me with nothing for that month and i'd have to live on beans on toast for the month! :lol:

i get that most people think the gold is tacky, i would usually agree, but this is not gold ano for the sake of bling, it's ti nitriding and that's way cooler than ano.

if i did get them i'd hope that picking them up in person from Royce (20miles away) that i'd get a little discount, he knocked a little off a previous purchase for saving the cost and hassle of postage.

That's about £8 saved on postage. That makes them look a bargain then :shock:

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

he did about 5% off and no postage, so about 60 quid, nothing on 1150 really but like tesco, every little helps!

also at 1150 rrp i'd imagine the post cost would be a little higher than £8! more for the insurance of the item.

i have been looking at bills etc, trying to decide whether i should/can buy them.

:P

Author:  neebsta [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

jonnyboy666 wrote:
he did about 5% off and no postage, so about 60 quid, nothing on 1150 really but like tesco, every little helps!

also at 1150 rrp i'd imagine the post cost would be a little higher than £8! more for the insurance of the item.

i have been looking at bills etc, trying to decide whether i should/can buy them.

:P

Sounds like you've justified them to yourself, that's often the most difficult! :twisted:

Author:  samsbike [ Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

jonnyboy666 wrote:

Nothing wrong iwht beans lol

Author:  dyna-ti [ Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sold yesterday-
Pair of Burgtec on 823 mavics-£100
Admittedly they were DH specific 20mm front with 12x150mm rear but a ton for a £500+ pair of wheels isnt bad :shock:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/downhill-whee ... 2a1b5bd667

And the CK set for £230
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRIS-KING-WH ... 1e6c66582a

Was tempted really really tempted but ive a new shock to buy for my Tazmon so i cannot justify that kind of a flutter :cry:
Shame,a couple of good deals there

Author:  02gf74 [ Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

:shock:

The way I justify things if it is less than a tank of petrol £ 80 ish, then no need to think about it cause once you burnt the petrol you have nothing left to show for the £ 80.

amounts more than than need a bit more justification, but depends on what. (I would be talking about bikes, bike parts, HiFi, CDs).
If the item is as new but 1/2 price then that is usually enough to swing it up to £ 2.5 k mark.

Now note I say it depends on what it is. In this case, £ 1100 for a pair of hubs is insanity :shock: , even if they are 24 ct gold .... I could get a pair of Mavic SLRs and tyres and still have change for petrol. If you have come into money or earn a shed load ( > £ 10 k per month) so that £ 1100 is pocket money, then go ahead but I could never jsutify spending more than 1/10 on a pair of hubs.

Author:  A_Venables [ Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

dyna-ti wrote:
Sold yesterday-

And the CK set for £230
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRIS-KING-WH ... 1e6c66582a

Those would be the ones Ive bought, hoping the hubs are ok, not fused about the rims, probably build them onto a new set depending on the condition of the originals! Couldnt resist at that price! :D

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:26 am ]
Post subject: 

in the next 3 weeks i'll will be doing 3 overtime shifts, and we're due a reasonable bonus and i got paid for some pics for bikeradar and that little lot i have worked out almost covers the cost! :D

i think i have done it, i think i have convinced myself!! :shock: :shock:

Author:  yo-eddy [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:37 am ]
Post subject: 

I do miss White industries and Phil on your list ..... not UK but still very 8)

Author:  02gf74 [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: how to justify a big purchase?!

jonnyboy666 wrote:
i am leaning towards Royce hubs, i want to build my Demon with different parts than i usually would use so i have some choices:-

chris king hubs £570 rrp

enlighten me - what is so special about this hub; for example what does it do that a Shimano XTR hubs costing £ 270 cannot?

Author:  yo-eddy [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am ]

02gf74 wrote:
jonnyboy666 wrote:

chris king hubs £570 rrp

enlighten me - what is so special about this hub; for example what does it do that a Shimano XTR hubs costing £ 270 cannot?

most important...... it has a soul :wink:

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:14 pm ]

02gf74 wrote:
jonnyboy666 wrote:

chris king hubs £570 rrp

i suppose nothing really . . . but that was never the point was it. :D

Author:  gtRTSdh [ Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

jonnyboy666 wrote:

If you've got £1200 after bills spare each month then it's really not an issue, if you had three kids, a wife and mortgage and only had £100 month spare a month for the whole family then I'd call you a **** for even thinking about it, as your not:

They are made from titanium, what more reason do you need

Author:  JamesM [ Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

You've got me thinking Chris King hubs are cheap now!!! So, what you need to do is approach Lotus (or someone like that) and ask them for a quote to custom design and maufacture some hubs in carbon fibre. Once you've got their quote ponder over it for a bit and then decide nah, I'll just got with the cheapo £1200 Royce ones :lol: