I need a frame.

w98seeng

Dirt Disciple
So, I have these parts in a bin in my garage.

XTR FC-M951 crankset
XTR ST-M910 8 speed Rapid Fire Shifters
XTR 8 speed rear derailleur
XTR BR-M951 V-Brakes
XT front triple
XT hubs on unknown (too lazy to go look) rims (These are the best spare wheels I have)

All these parts are from the mid 90's so I would like to build a bike and keep it from the same era. Front suspension or rigid, I haven't deiced yet. I want a frame that will be a good match for the XTR components. I don't want to put these expensive parts on a cheap frame, what a waste that would be.

I really didn't know what I wanted in a frame until tonight when I saw a 1995 Trek 9900 OCLV frame and since this bike came with XTR components I thought it would be perfect.

Then I saw a Klein and said, "Wow, I want one". Well, a Klein would make a great build but they are expensive. How about a vintage Trek Y-22? Or maybe an aluminum lugged carbon fiber frame.

Well, I still can't decide, but I at least have some ideas.

What other frames like I mentioned should I think about? Being from Canada, I haven't heard of Orange bikes but I have seen a few on Retro Bikes. They seem to be nice bikes, are the frames expensive?

One other question, when I was cleaning the rear derailleur I put it in some degreaser and the paint peeled off the front. You can still see part of the XTR label, but most of it came off. How much does this hurt resale value? Can I get matching Shimano grey paint?

Thanks for the info,
Ian

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
A 1998 Coyote ht4 ultralite easton elite tubing.

Attachments

• DSCN0553.jpg
    DSCN0553.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCN0556.jpg
    DSCN0556.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 398
  • imag0005_429.jpg
    imag0005_429.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCN0557.jpg
    DSCN0557.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 398
The coyote any good to you. Easton elite tubing , around the 4.4lb mark. Good condition makes a really nice hardtail or a lightweight rigid. I had it around 19lb with exotic carbon rigid fork and 1x9.

Back