deore 8 speed to 9 speed

gavinda

Senior Retro Guru
Hi, I'm just starting to give my 2000 kona blast a new lease of life, it's stripped down and ready for surgery. Now the original plan was to rebuild it as a rigid ss 69er. but that wet awry a few nights ago when I managed o buy a trek 69er ss hardtail. Now I know i dont need 2 ss bike in my life so i want to build my kona back up as a geared rigid for longer rides and the benefit of my knees :).

So, to my question. The kona currently runs 1x8 on a deore cassette. It seems to be more popular to go with a 1x9 or 1x10 gearing these days and i wondered weather or not it would be possible to use my current deore derailluer for 1 larger cassette or will i need to replace it.

Factors to consider are that i need to do this on a budget and the alivio thumbshifter is buggered so ima have to replace this anyway, regardless which cassette i go with.

cheers, gavin

thanks for the welcome :cool:.

yes to both then, deore 8 speed will run the 9 speed cassete on the deore 8 speed hub?

so much shorter written that way.

again, thank you

You will need a 9 speed shifter unless you did mean that.

Basically your '8 speed' mech will run 7/8/9 as they all use the same width on the freehub body (or amounts of that width). Not sure about 10 and 5/6 though but the chain is only marginally different here but that doesnt matter.

No problem.

yeah, the thumbshifter is fubar. its what triggered the whole rebuild really :oops: . the bike 12 years old, the forks are blowing oil, but i really love the frame. i know its not the best bike out there, but its taken me places. i suppose i could have just replaces the thumbshifter and pumped up the fork, but then i looked at the web and my wallet just emptied itself :LOL:

gavinda":h9iw64ar said:
i suppose i could have just replaces the thumbshifter and pumped up the fork, but then i looked at retrobike and my wallet just emptied itself :LOL:

Ch ching! Annnnd your in.

so, i'm still fussing over this :oops: . the bikes coming back from the shop today, having had the bottom bracket reinstalled and a new head set fitted.

I still dont know what to do about gearing. i know i CAN change my cassette and shifter to 9 speed, but am not sure if its worth bothering. Im seeing a lot of conflicting reports regarding reliability and am on a limited budget so dont want to spend where its not worth it. however i will if it is :roll: .

choice is,

keep my existing cassette and just buy an alivio thumbshifter and stay with 1x8 (which i have always been happy with)

OR

replace cassette, buy a deore 9 speed shifter and a new chain and gain one more gear and be slightly more modern.

:?

know its not a huge cost difference , but i really need watch what i am spending.

eventually , there shall be pics ;)

Go for the cheaper option if money is an issue.

There isnt much in it. 8 speed is still pretty modern.

Back