Frame powdercoating...cheap?..where!

northwich, cheshire, can travel around some, out to crewe, chester,liverpool or manchester i guess..if savings allow for travel expense

Much depends on the colour - if you are happy that they strip it and run it through with a batch of gates then you save them the colour change setup cost (cleaning the booth and sprayer) and things can get much cheaper.

To be perfectly honest you do seem to get what you pay for with powdercoating - albeit there are exceptions.

When looking ask if they have had experience powdercoating MTB frames.

There will be a lot to mask on an FSR i.e. where the bearings sit.

I have seen some truly shocking examples of where intricate areas are subjected to the same powder as the rest of the frame ...... headsets and seatposts not fitting, bearings not fitting etc.

Then there is the potential issue of subjecting an aluminium frame to more heat.

You may be lucking with a cheap job but if I were you I would want to see examples etc.

The powdercoaters I use is £50 for a frame with £10 for a fork. To date they have been very good. That's for a media blast, zinc coat and colour on top.

I know you're up north and all, but the powdercoating place down here did my Lobo for £35+vat. (Soak, Blasting, Primer & Black Gloss)
And there are some very weird crevices on that frame!

Either way I'd say you're looking at £50.

Back