Wheels/disks on a 99 FSR, advise needed!

not_fat_matt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently picked up a set of DT Swiss/Stout disc hubs for my 99 FSR, to convert the front to disc, and hopefully the rear at a later date - but all doesnt seem right!

I fitted a 160mm disk to the rear, just to mock up where the caliper would sit - but the disc fouls the bolt on the linkage, looking at other rear disc converted FSR's on here is doesnt seem to be an issue - wrong hub offset?

main.php

So i moved onto the front, swapped the tyre over etc, went to take the skewer out of my original wheel - and its bigger :roll:
I could just get a standard skewer, but im running Pace forks so i guess the stiffer/larger dia type is best?
What is the hub in the picture classed as, 15mm for a 9mm QR?

main.php

i used a bolt from my s-works which had a flatter head, try filing the allen bolt head and fit that to inside

not_fat_matt":22sncmup said:
So i moved onto the front, swapped the tyre over etc, went to take the skewer out of my original wheel - and its bigger :roll:
I could just get a standard skewer, but im running Pace forks so i guess the stiffer/larger dia type is best?
What is the hub in the picture classed as, 15mm for a 9mm QR?

I don't think a standard QR will work. A standard hub fits into the dropouts and the QR holds it in place. I think a stout works more like a 20mm thru-axle where the hub fits between the dropouts and the QR holds it all in place.

I think if you try a normal QR, the wheel won't be held sufficiently, move around and drop out.

Don't you just hate it when nothing goes right! :?

S-M":n3tqqlqt said:
I filed the nut down.....

but in the photo we see a locknut - there is nylon insert that prevents the nut from loosening so filing that off is not a good idea.

you can get half-height locknuts or use a standard nut with lots of loctite, both of which should be thinner.

Cheers for the nut info on the rear, nice, fairly simple work round :)

Dave_H":cxh3uks5 said:
I don't think a standard QR will work. A standard hub fits into the dropouts and the QR holds it in place. I think a stout works more like a 20mm thru-axle where the hub fits between the dropouts and the QR holds it all in place.

I think if you try a normal QR, the wheel won't be held sufficiently, move around and drop out.

Don't you just hate it when nothing goes right! :?

Indeed :(

The original forks were Rock Shox Judy XC, iirc they had a lip on the dropout meaning the QR had to be unwound in order to drop the wheel, now running RC39's that dont, but the dropouts are thicker im sure.

Back