Travel storage problems!

A_Venables

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Im getting back into biking but there arent many places round me to go biking and would like to pack the bikes in the car and go to various places for a bit of off roading. The misses will not cycle on the road so the need to pack the bikes up in the car even greater!! So, How do you guys do it? I have a Corsa VXR, which I have spent alot of money on and the bikes I have I want to keep in good condition (no scratches!!!), so are the bike and wheel bags any good? Ive seen the ones in CRC? I dont want to use a bike rack as leaving the bikes on the outside of the car worries me, just incase we stop off somewhere and scrapping or scratching paint on the boot isnt an option (I use the car for car shows, its my other hobby). Any suggestions? My Corsa is pretty big inside with the seats folded down, but how big are these bags and would they stop scratching/scuffing if I bought 1 set for each of the bikes? (2 bikes)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68409

In all seriousness your car will get damaged if you carry bikes on or in it. If it's viable I would buy a van or estate cr cheap and use that.

Aslong as you're careful when putting the bikes on the roof, then i don't see any issues with roof bars. Most Vauxhalls have fixing points on the roof..

jamabikes":3s2m6ejp said:
In all seriousness your car will get damaged if you carry bikes on or in it. If it's viable I would buy a van or estate cr cheap and use that.
Would love too, but im not sure the misses would approve :LOL:

Think I'll try the bags and see how I get on, the roof rack would be an option, but as it is a Corsa is actually high so getting bikes on the roof maybe a struggle, but I'll have a think on that one if the bags dont work.

no idea how bit the luggage space is in a Corse is but I'd be surprised if you cannot fit two bikes in the back, both wheels removed.

bike bags - a cheap old blanket over the bikes will prevent them getting scratched.... and keeps them out of sight from theiveing eyes.

Roof is where I would go, less chance of damage than just about any other option than a trailer!

Shouldn't have probs reaching them up there, you can stand inside the doors.

No way I would be thinking about putting them in, even in bags.

If you're concerned about damaging car bodywork and feel you'd struggle getting bikes onto a roofrack then why not go to a removable towbar and towbar mounted bike rack.

Keeps the bikes off the roof and bodywork and very easy to load/unload. FWIW most damage ive had loading bikes is where people lean on the car and their jeans or keys touch the side of the car.

For security lock the bikes with a bike lock as well as the ones that come with the rack.

jamabikes":1m4vwbcx said:

Err how do you work that one out? 20 years of putting bike on (roof, tailgate, towbar) and in (hatchback, saloon, estate) cars I've never even scratched a car.

Back