Prescription eyewear for riding

ti-fat-man

Senior Retro Guru
Need some advice please, i'm really in need of some decent glasses for riding my bicycle :D

I don't need sunshades or nowt, just sporty eyewear with clear lens and outfitted with my current prescription.

Oakleys RX spring to mind, i've had some before, but this time i'm after just a clear lens package.

Any other solutions/brands?

I recently got a pair of Bolle glasses with prescription sunglass lenses but you could get them in clear. They are normally around £250 but I got them from a local spectacle outlet that make the lenses in house so got them for £100. Good glasses and very comfy snug fit.

I know in mbuk this month they highlighted the prescription glasses issue and mentioned oakley now do prescription lenses for some of thier range in particular the flak jacket xlj range but others will work too

this is the u.s. oakley prescription site which might be cheaper to send over your eye prescription and get them sent to you given the dollar vs pound

http://www.oakley.com/store/products/me ... escription

the british oakley site starts here for contacts and it might be worth contacting them for uk distributors

http://uk.oakley.com/customer-care/customer-care-info

Just before anyone gets their hopes up on cheap oakleys, they won't ship to the UK from the US, I've tried. Ended up getting someone in the states to send them on, so still saved a hell of a lot, but took a while longer. This was standard sunglasses, not prescription lenses, so it may be different?

Both me and the mrs have had glasses from lensway on one of their £29 all in promotions. Highly recommend. They will also send you a voucher for a free pair that you just pay delivery.
They do safety glasses and there are a couple of pairs of oakleys there, but not sure if they're what your after.

http://www.lensway.co.uk/glasses

I wear Oakley RX all the time - not sunglasses, normal clear glasses.

The wife has a pair of oakley reaction lenses in a pair of 'sporty' frames. only a few quid more expensive than either clear or tinted, and best of both worlds!

We've both tried non-oakley wrap-around style sunglasses from opticians, and there is a good reason that we now use oakley for any glasses that fit close to your face - 'normal' lenses in close fitting/wraparound frames really mess up your depth perception, and distorts your peripheral vision.

Or, contact lenses.

HTH

you don't have to settle for just Oakley prescription options and can go with their sunglasses. I've had a pair of Oakley Scar & Splice done quite a few years ago, and Monster Pup more recently mounted with prescription lenses. The Scars and Splice I went with polarized lenses to retain them for sunglasses use, and the Monster Pups with Transition lenses which I use for cycling day or night. The Transitions darkens rapidly when exposed to UV light, but doesn't work while driving in a car as the automobile glass filters UV. I like them since you can wear them if you're out during the day and can still keep riding with them on when dusk settles in.

These are the oakley's I have, except I have mine in colbolt. Great for everyday and for out on the bike.

Wiretap_Silver_Clear.jpg

I buy Oakley RX frames off eBay every couple of years and send them to Ciliary Blue for installation of lenses. Good priced lenses and quick service usually. Usually costs me no more than 130 a pair.

Back