Should I Complain Diamondback M05

Feedback
View
hello fellow retrobikers

I Recently bought a brand new Diamondback M05 for my other half as a birthday present from Halfords :facepalm:, i built it up (put the stem in, fitted handlebars, put wheels in), and its been stuck in the bathroom and has been in there for a month, anyway i decided to test it out today and lets put it straight its awful, gears dont work, steering is vauge, but the one problem that is bugging me is the brakes, the front brake its awful it has the stopping distance of a oil tanker, and it whines when riding (sounds like a car with a slipping fan belt)

should i contact halfords or diamondback and ask them to resolve the issue or do i have to deal with and pay for a new caliper as i dont want the other half riding it as i feel its unsafe

Take it to your shop with a receipt. They are obligated to check it over and make sure it's fit to ride if they build it. Though I'm not sure if that's the case with a self built bike.

Disc brakes on a £200 bike were never going to be great stoppers now, were they?

Could be so many variables that it doesn't bear consideration. Check everything is tight - rotor and caliper bolts - and that front wheel is straight in the fork. If it is - take it back and get them to fix it.

IWish said:
Take it to your shop with a receipt. They are obligated to check it over and make sure it's fit to ride if they build it. Though I'm not sure if that's the case with a self built bike.[/quote

Hi there, im not worried about the gears or steering, i can sort that out, its the front caliper thats annoying me it just dosent work, its not safe

Most disc brake problems are due to contaminated pads and/or vibrations - there could be "storage" oil on the rotors.

On cable-activated discs the problem is frequently the cables themselves. Check they are running smoothly. While you are at it, check the spring at the caliper has a good amount of tension in it.

cyfa2809":29kvdc1f said:
What brake is it?

it some promax thingy mergiggy, it has the stopping distance of a oil tanker( personally think a oil tanker could stop faster)

i just dont want the other half to use in case of having to do an emergency stop

Not the 'floating' ones on the cheaper bikes i was thinking of. Take it back though.

Get a carrera if you still want to get something from there.

Back