Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:46 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 pm 
Retro Guru

cyfa2809 wrote:
Not the 'floating' ones on the cheaper bikes i was thinking of. Take it back though.

Get a carrera if you still want to get something from there.

i know mistake dont let the other half choose a bike, i was goonna go for a carrea not a diamondback or maybe another kona

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:38 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special

The subways are pretty good value. Not sure if they have the sales on anymore.

For that kind of money there is very very good value for money in second hand choosings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:43 pm 
Retro Guru

mountainbikerjohnnyb wrote:
IWish wrote:
Take it to your shop with a receipt. They are obligated to check it over and make sure it's fit to ride if they build it. Though I'm not sure if that's the case with a self built bike.

Hi there, im not worried about the gears or steering, i can sort that out, its the front caliper thats annoying me it just dosent work, its not safe

It's not just the gearing and steering. They are obligated too supply an item that is fit for purpose.. Slippy gears, bad steering and brakes that work when they decide too aren't meeting those standards and should be rectified by the supplier free of charge.. I know any GOOD bike shop will set up a bike and give you a call a month later asking you to bring the bike in for a checkover and service to be sure that everything is working as it should.

All of that will be free of charge.

If your Halfords branch refuses to assist request the manager to talk too and keep talking until they give you what you paid for. A safe and usable item.

I've done it before with a friends Voodoo. It was a build yourself one. I built it and the braking was like trying to stop on a polished Wood floor with socks on.. It was not happening. I went with the buyer and spoke to the manager who told the mechanics too sort everything out FOC and do it straight away..

It's unlikely they will refuse to help or fix the issue as it's their liability on a warrenty item.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 pm 
Retro Guru

IWish wrote:
mountainbikerjohnnyb wrote:
IWish wrote:
Take it to your shop with a receipt. They are obligated to check it over and make sure it's fit to ride if they build it. Though I'm not sure if that's the case with a self built bike.

Hi there, im not worried about the gears or steering, i can sort that out, its the front caliper thats annoying me it just dosent work, its not safe

It's not just the gearing and steering. They are obligated too supply an item that is fit for purpose.. Slippy gears, bad steering and brakes that work when they decide too aren't meeting those standards and should be rectified by the supplier free of charge.. I know any GOOD bike shop will set up a bike and give you a call a month later asking you to bring the bike in for a checkover and service to be sure that everything is working as it should.

If your Halfords branch refuses to assist request the manager to talk too and keep talking until they give you what you paid for. A safe and usable item.

I've done it before with a friends Voodoo. It was a build yourself one. I built it and the braking was like trying to stop on a polished Wood floor with socks on.. It was not happening. I went with the buyer and spoke to the manager who told the mechanics too sort everything out FOC and do it straight away..

It's unlikely they will refuse to help or fix the issue as it's their liability on a warrenty item.

i will try that, thanks fot that advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Not too sure if they won't try to blame you. That kind of stuff is common here.

If you're prepared to spend another £75 to sort it out, I have a set of near-new Formula RX brakes and 180/180 6-bolt rotors.
I can verify that those will stop either the bike or the planet very abruptly.

Last edited by Raging_Bulls on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:49 pm 

They wont like the 'bad press' if you threaten to complain and whatnot.

Have you taken it in for your free six week service yet? Could be bought up then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Raging_Bulls wrote:
Not too sure if they won't try to blame you. That kind of stuff is common here.

If you're prepared to spend another £75 to sort it out, I have a set of near-new Formula RX brakes and 180/180 6-bolt rotors.
I can verify that those will stop either the bike or the planet very abruptly.

thanks for the offer, love fourmla brakes, but the other half dosent want hydros on it :facepalm:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

IWish wrote:
I know any GOOD bike shop will set up a bike and give you a call a month later asking you to bring the bike in for a checkover and service to be sure that everything is working as it should.

Any good bike shop wouldn't be selling non-discounted £200 adult bikes to start with.... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 am 
Retro Guru

dbmtb wrote:
IWish wrote:
I know any GOOD bike shop will set up a bike and give you a call a month later asking you to bring the bike in for a checkover and service to be sure that everything is working as it should.

Any good bike shop wouldn't be selling non-discounted £200 adult bikes to start with.... :twisted:

i know i dont go for BSO usally but other half wanted it, so i paid the£109.99 that they where asking for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 am 
Retro Guru

cyfa2809 wrote:
They wont like the 'bad press' if you threaten to complain and whatnot.

Have you taken it in for your free six week service yet? Could be bought up then.

cyfa i agree, already had to deal with evans cycles regarding a friends £1500 bianchi road bike that they cocked up on, but there attiude was "i dont care"