Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:46 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Oxfordshire
cyfa2809 wrote:
Not the 'floating' ones on the cheaper bikes i was thinking of. Take it back though.

Get a carrera if you still want to get something from there.


i know mistake dont let the other half choose a bike, i was goonna go for a carrea not a diamondback or maybe another kona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:38 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 16165
Location: Rurally close.
The subways are pretty good value. Not sure if they have the sales on anymore.

For that kind of money there is very very good value for money in second hand choosings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:43 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:41 am
Posts: 1108
Location: Warrington
mountainbikerjohnnyb wrote:
IWish wrote:
Take it to your shop with a receipt. They are obligated to check it over and make sure it's fit to ride if they build it. Though I'm not sure if that's the case with a self built bike.


Hi there, im not worried about the gears or steering, i can sort that out, its the front caliper thats annoying me it just dosent work, its not safe


It's not just the gearing and steering. They are obligated too supply an item that is fit for purpose.. Slippy gears, bad steering and brakes that work when they decide too aren't meeting those standards and should be rectified by the supplier free of charge.. I know any GOOD bike shop will set up a bike and give you a call a month later asking you to bring the bike in for a checkover and service to be sure that everything is working as it should.

All of that will be free of charge.

If your Halfords branch refuses to assist request the manager to talk too and keep talking until they give you what you paid for. A safe and usable item.

I've done it before with a friends Voodoo. It was a build yourself one. I built it and the braking was like trying to stop on a polished Wood floor with socks on.. It was not happening. I went with the buyer and spoke to the manager who told the mechanics too sort everything out FOC and do it straight away..

It's unlikely they will refuse to help or fix the issue as it's their liability on a warrenty item.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Oxfordshire
IWish wrote:
mountainbikerjohnnyb wrote:
IWish wrote:
Take it to your shop with a receipt. They are obligated to check it over and make sure it's fit to ride if they build it. Though I'm not sure if that's the case with a self built bike.


Hi there, im not worried about the gears or steering, i can sort that out, its the front caliper thats annoying me it just dosent work, its not safe


It's not just the gearing and steering. They are obligated too supply an item that is fit for purpose.. Slippy gears, bad steering and brakes that work when they decide too aren't meeting those standards and should be rectified by the supplier free of charge.. I know any GOOD bike shop will set up a bike and give you a call a month later asking you to bring the bike in for a checkover and service to be sure that everything is working as it should.

All of that will be free of charge.

If your Halfords branch refuses to assist request the manager to talk too and keep talking until they give you what you paid for. A safe and usable item.

I've done it before with a friends Voodoo. It was a build yourself one. I built it and the braking was like trying to stop on a polished Wood floor with socks on.. It was not happening. I went with the buyer and spoke to the manager who told the mechanics too sort everything out FOC and do it straight away..

It's unlikely they will refuse to help or fix the issue as it's their liability on a warrenty item.


i will try that, thanks fot that advice


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 4074
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Not too sure if they won't try to blame you. That kind of stuff is common here.

If you're prepared to spend another £75 to sort it out, I have a set of near-new Formula RX brakes and 180/180 6-bolt rotors.
I can verify that those will stop either the bike or the planet very abruptly.


Last edited by Raging_Bulls on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:49 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 16165
Location: Rurally close.
They wont like the 'bad press' if you threaten to complain and whatnot.

Have you taken it in for your free six week service yet? Could be bought up then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:57 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Oxfordshire
Raging_Bulls wrote:
Not too sure if they won't try to blame you. That kind of stuff is common here.

If you're prepared to spend another £75 to sort it out, I have a set of near-new Formula RX brakes and 180/180 6-bolt rotors.
I can verify that those will stop either the bike or the planet very abruptly.


thanks for the offer, love fourmla brakes, but the other half dosent want hydros on it :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: Odense, Denmark
IWish wrote:
I know any GOOD bike shop will set up a bike and give you a call a month later asking you to bring the bike in for a checkover and service to be sure that everything is working as it should.

All of that will be free of charge.



Any good bike shop wouldn't be selling non-discounted £200 adult bikes to start with.... :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Oxfordshire
dbmtb wrote:
IWish wrote:
I know any GOOD bike shop will set up a bike and give you a call a month later asking you to bring the bike in for a checkover and service to be sure that everything is working as it should.

All of that will be free of charge.



Any good bike shop wouldn't be selling non-discounted £200 adult bikes to start with.... :twisted:


i know i dont go for BSO usally but other half wanted it, so i paid the£109.99 that they where asking for it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm
Posts: 298
Location: Oxfordshire
cyfa2809 wrote:
They wont like the 'bad press' if you threaten to complain and whatnot.

Have you taken it in for your free six week service yet? Could be bought up then.


cyfa i agree, already had to deal with evans cycles regarding a friends £1500 bianchi road bike that they cocked up on, but there attiude was "i dont care"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gordie and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group