Used cassette.. yes or no?

JimNicho

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm sure this is a big can of worms, but I'd value your opinions on the subject. I'm adding gears to my single speed (2x9) I have mechs, shifters, just picked up a used chainring and I have a nearly new SRAM chain (less than 100 miles). Seeing as I can get a Sunrace cassette for about £13 ,or a Shimano one for about £16... is it worth buying a used cassette just to save a couple of quid, and should I buy an SRAM one to match the chain, or does it not matter

for the sake of a easy set (as long as the chain and ring are good) id get a cheaper shimano or sram cassette new and avoid the sunrace after years and years fixing bso in the bike shop sunrace is never that great and tends to not last a be a pig to set up as it may or may not be as straight as it should be some times (nearly everytime o the really really cheap levels) you can find 3 out of 7/8 of the cogs are slightly bent :shock: but basic shimano and sram just seem to be that slightly better quality for just a few quid more that makes a huge difference ;) :D

I agree with Mr. Scum - sod saving a couple of quid and buy new. It'll pay you back in the long run.
I agree with the comments about Sunrace too - they aren't well made, don't shift as well as Shimano and wear fast.

Back