Hope X2 or M4's ?

theredchili

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Anyone use these brakes ? read the mixed reviews and appears X2's can be slightly underpowered - any thoughts ?

I'm looking for mainly cross country use ,but also a few mountain routes

I've got m4s and bloody love them, not sure if x2s are better or worse but I weigh 14.5 stone and the m4s have always instilled total confidence...

I run M4s with Tech levers on 2 bikes and they stop me very well at 14.x stone. Never worry about their ability.

Cheers chaps ,what size rotors are you running ?

weight wise the M4's are only around 60g heavier,so no issues there, think the X2's are less powerful

Anyone use X2's ?

X2 definitely less powerful. Am running a 203 up front and 183 out back on my full sus and 183s front and back on the wifes bike and they are all good.

Running sintered pads for the last couple of weeks on the full sus and always run sintered on the other one.

theredchili":oswcij90 said:
Cheers chaps ,what size rotors are you running ?

weight wise the M4's are only around 60g heavier,so no issues there, think the X2's are less powerful

Anyone use X2's ?

X2's have 97Nm of torque and came 3rd in this months what mountain bike disk brake review. They gave them a really good write up and there was only half a star between 1st and 3rd.

Hope this is of help :)

Tough one , going to test a pair of X2's which I think will be fine , but not much extra cost or weight for the M4's - very confused ! :?

X2s are very good brakes but IMHO for the small extra outlay and slight weight penalty, it's worth going for M4s. And 180 rotors while you're at it.

When I was making the same decision - I had the benefit of experience from Mini Monos (180/160) and Mono M4s (180/180) to go on.

What you will probably find is that the X2s will feel harder - and the M4s will brake up with a more "soft" feeling and slightly better modulation.

So really it depends on the terrain you ride and your preference as to "feel".

X2's are the new Mono Mini's right?

If so, I have M4's and have had Mini's and they're both great but the M4's come out top by a mile. Superb stoppers. :cool:

Back