What to buy??!!

Depends. Whats your riding style, how tall are you? Ie 29er an option?

I'd go for a cotic at the mo and get best bits I could afford on it for that budget.

Something do it all. Something steel.

Never tried steel so want to try, and a think a bike that has a fair amount of travel up front and good geo will take you to the limit.

cyfa2809":3a3xf59x said:

Never tried steel so want to try, and a think a bike that has a fair amount of travel up front and good geo will take you to the limit.

Sell you full suss kona and the club roost and get an On One or similar chap!

5' 10", not that keen on a 29 er tho. Mainly ride xc and sometimes commute. Feel rather overwhelmed by the choice there seems to be out there. This is going to be my main rider and will sort a new retro ride out further along when funds allow.

Yep, well gutted. Like I've lost a loved one. They offered me a Scott scale 35, which is carbon but I'm not that keen. Called them to have a chat an they sort of gave me a budget a couple of retailers to look at and the weekend to have a think. :?

coomber":wmzvpb4a said:
cyfa2809":wmzvpb4a said:

Sell you full suss kona and the club roost and get an On One or similar chap!

Nooooo! My skill/heavy handedness on wheels means i stay full sus. That said its been this way for a few years, maybe its time to try hardtail again.

Carbon is light though. New? Or used? If it was my money, id most certainly be looking to build one from scratch. Just my opinion though, i prefer uniqueness also. With that budget, you should get most of the parts you want new or near new. Say a grand for frame and grand for parts?

Tell them you want the money. Unless it's in the small print, you shouldn't have to settle for a modern bike, especially a mainstream effort supplied by their "approved" retailers.

New Spooky is making some of the best alu framed bikes out there. If you can get the cash out of your insurers then have a look at the Darkside. It'll leave you with some change too.

You could of course buy my Nicolai Argon FR since the sale has fallen through...

Back