Gutted - nice XTR 952 crank stuck

Kevhl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I recently bought a bike for the wheels, brakes and a few other bits. The chainset was going to be sold on to recoup costs until I saw how clean it looked and decided it was going to be used...

...the drive side came off without issue and is in great condition, however the threads have been pulled out of the non-drive side where the self extractor normally screws in. Not only that but it looks like someones tried to use a normal crank extractor to remove it and crushed all the splines onto/into the BB, gutted!

Not much I can do and look how clean it seemed on the face of it...

IMG_9620.jpg

Damage(if you can make it out):
IMG_9621.jpg

Oh well, everything else seems to be in pretty good nick. I wonder what I can make out of the arm once I've removed it?!

Can you put one of those wire threads (think that's what they're called) in there? The ones that are like wire and then you thread in the extractor to pull it out?
Nice condition!

I'm going to have a look and see if there's anyway of saving them before I get out the hammer/dremel/blowtorch!

shame.

that may be salvageable.

if you can get an extractor in, heat up the crank as it will expand more than the steel spindle.

otherwise hopefully you can get a thin cutting disc in between pedal and bb and cut it off, the remove the spindle innards.

So a crank extractor won't screw in at all?

It's difficult to see from that very bad photograph exactly how much damage there is - post up a sharp, clear one to give us a better idea.
If the thread hasn't all been stripped out it may be possible to run a tap down to clean up what's left. I wouldn't get the hacksaw out just yet....

FST4RD":2pmpfrut said:
Can you put one of those wire threads (think that's what they're called) in there? The ones that are like wire and then you thread in the extractor to pull it out?
Nice condition!

Helicoil?

I think it might be worth a try.

Funny this - in the sense of strange coincidence - I found this link the other day and found the tool selection interesting.

Now, look down on the list for "Park Universal Crank Extractor" and "Piloted 23x1mm Tap". That may be your most elegant solution.

http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/tools.html

Aha, my tool selection comments were a little tonge in cheek I'll have a look. Thank you!

Picture quality is rubbish, I'll take some better quality ones in real light over the weekend. There is a little thread left by the look of it however I think I'll see if it can be helicoiled.

You can't use a normal extractor on them as they are splined and use a much larger diameter crank bolt. It looks as though someone has attempted to use one and has crushed/fused the splines together!

As they should look...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28820652@N07/4271206981/

Can't see if there's much room between the arm and the frame but I've removed crank arms with stripped threads by using a couple of old cone spanners and a flat chisel or ball joint remover.
Put a cone spanner against the frame and one against the arm, jam the chisel/ball joint remover between them and hit with a big hammer. It should come off reasonably easily with a few whacks and not damage anything.

Thank you sir, I'm sure I read a post of yours saying the same thing elsewhere on here on another forum. I'll have a look over the weekend.

They're attached to a Chuck CR-HT frame which might make someone a very nice bike so I don't want to damage it!

Back