yeti lawwil brake questions

eejoor

Retro Guru
i'm rebuilding a '99 yeti lawwil 6. it has a 151 boxxer up front and planned to use magura gustav m disc brakes on ringle abbah hubs.

i never had disc brakes beforeand have a few problems:

problem 1: to much space between boxxer and rotor/brake calliper

the brake caliper has the correct 200 mm adapter for a 200 mm rotor. however, there is a 10 mm space between the adapter and the fork. i could use 10 mm spacers, but is this normal or do i need a special adapter plate

problem 2: rear gustav m doesn't fit at the rear.

which rear brake was used on a '99 yeti lawwil? the magura brake caliper won't fit between chain stays and seat stays.

problem 3: rear hub needs a 5 hole rotor

the rear hub, a ringle abbah lawwil hub has a 5 hole mount for disc brake rotors. my lbs never saw these before. are these still available? it seams the adapter can be removed, are 6 hole adapters avalaible?

many questions, i hope someone knows the answers.

grtz

1. The boxxers will need a boxxer specific mount. Their offset is 10mm further away from the disc than moth other forks, so a standard 203mm adapter wont work.

2. Yep, the 97-99 frames all used either Hope C2 or Hayes brake mounts. They didnt go to IS mounts untill 2000.
The Hayse mount will have 2x vertical M6 threaded holes spaced 22mm apart.
The Hope mount will have 2x horizontal 6mm through-holes spaces at around 40mm (guess)
You'll need a custom brake adapter if you want to run anything other than these 2 brakes.
If you have the Hayse mount, 'A2Z' make a Hayse->IS brake mount adapter that you could use. I run one on my 4-Banger.

3. What is the pitch diameter of the 5bolts for the disc mount on the hub? The hope hub on the back of my 97 frame is 5 bolt and the pitching is much larger than a standard IS disc mount.

I know you can get 6-bolt Ringle Lawwill hubs on eBay which have the 6-bolt IS mount, but it'll depend on your axle size as to whether if will fit your frame.

thanks for the answers

1. i will contact magura and rock shox for the boxxer mount.

2. it has the 2 horizontal mounts, so will look out for a hope brake. would it be ok to use the hope caliper with the magura lever?

3. will measure the pitch from the hub. ringlé hasn't got parts anymore to rebuild the lawwil hubs, altough crc had them on the website until a few months ago.

grtz,

Back