Recommendations for External BB

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I need to replace the FSA Mego Exo BB on my 2008 Kula as one side seized and in now really grinchy after cleaning (this was one seriously muddy ride, but I'd expect more really). So what's good value, wont size at the first sight of mud and will work with the FSA Moto chainset?
I'm thinking Deore or XT/SLX but is there something else?

Carl.

M770(? I forget the number) XT external BB. The only advantage of the raceface BB is the bearigs are replaceable in that they sell the plastic covers as spares. Shimano BB's have no spares so bearing removal will neccisate removal of the plastic cover and it might break. All external BB use 6805 bearings.

You need the tool to remove the bb bearings raceface says?

xt bb for hollow tech is bb70. BB50 for deore etc. although i think all slx come with bb70.

Race Face used to last 5 mins at the most. Shimano's are better nowdays but i always find it's worth spending the extra on hope. Been running one 24 months on my Swift now no problems.

Average Mark":2x7cwr0d said:
Race Face used to last 5 mins at the most. Shimano's are better nowdays but i always find it's worth spending the extra on hope. Been running one 24 months on my Swift now no problems.

Agree. Buy a Hope

Raceface wont last 5min. I've had nowt but bother with them. I now use saint and SLX i'm 6'5 and not much change out of 19st with no bother at all.
SLX, XT and Saint all use the same bearings but the Saint and SLX use a longer drive side threaded cup.
SLX are bb70 also.

If you can afford Hope get one, you won't be disappointed.

Back