1x9 2x10 3x9

claret73

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not really au fait with the modern approaches...thinking of trying 1x9 or 1x10. Anybody running this set up for general Trail riding? Or sahare some Pros & Cons? Was almost up for SS on the Blizzard, so thoughts of having some gears would suit a Trail riding bike?

I remember hiring out a full susser a few times last year & found myself descending in the Granny ring! :shock: Perhaps it was the shock of trying to hang on after not having rode much Off Road, so a single up front would suit as a starting point...

i run 1 x 9 on my two main off road bikes. 36 and 11x32 on one and 36 and 11x34 on the other. perfect for the trails round here. would recommend a proper un ramped ring for the front and using a chain device of some sort. i use a full e:13 on the fr bike and a black spire stinger on the hard tail. ring wise i have an e:13 and a new hope one one.

1x9 on my Marin Team Ti (link to bike build in sig)

32t chainring with a 11-34t cassette

with a chain guide

works well in most of conditions for most folk, only on the steepest of ascents will you be cursing your choice of gearing (or I do anyway)

I've spun out at over 30mph on a road descent, but it's been fine off road

Great Stuff! I have a few more bits that I'd put aside for SS, that I can now use, so the Cotic is looking a Cheapish build...
I'll take a look at all the suggestions. Thanks!

If your running a 68mm shell you may have to get a 73mm bb and spacers to compensate and possibly a slightly lnger axle.

A close-ratio twin would be my choice.

Seeing as my Copperhead is built for road use, I'm seriously considering changing the 24-32-42 front setup to a 36-42 or 38-44 (If I can get hold of those sizes, that is.). So from a 3x10 to a close 2x10.

I don't think that info is quite useful for you, seeing as our bikes conquer different realms. However the basic principle might work for you as well.

i run 1 * 9 , with 34 t at the front .

I modified an old suntour front mech to use as a guide .

All my bikes apart from retro run single ring 36t. Ride middle ring on retro also though.

I'm running a 9 speed set-up on one of my modern bikes. 34t Surley stainless steel chainring and an 11-32 cassette.
I've been using a Superstar chain device too.

It's pretty hilly where I live, so sometimes I'm a bit under-geared, but it's all good for my fitness.

What I do notice is how much quieter on the downhills the bike is without the chain clattering about the front mech.

I'm also keen on a double chainring set-up.
My 93 Univega has 24 and 38t rings up front and a 13-30 seven speed cassette.

Again, the smaller range of gears still works really well and a few more of my bikes will be set up in a similar way this summer.

Back