Question about front hubs

aroncmc22

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys, wanted to ask opinions or indeed if there is any benefits from either of these two hub choices?:

XT HB-775 (disc compatible)

XT T-780 (non disc)

Basically I need a new front wheel and have either of these options. I'm not running discs but have got a set of pace rc31's on route that are also disc compatible (but also have v-mounts)

So my question is, is the 775 a better hub and is it worth keeping the option open of putting a disc on the front at a later date? (my M400 doesn't have rear disc mount) or should I go with the 780?

I'm sorry if this post isn't in the right section, only started using this foum yesterday

Personally I would go for the disc compatible one just to keep future options open. I got a rear built in 2004 or so with a Hope Bulb to keep my options open and only started using the disc mount on it in 2011 and by that point the hub was on its second rim.

I agree with the above also.

I think with the 775/780. 780 denotes newer and 'better'. I reckon the only thing that should be sonsidered in this is whether the 780 has cartridge bearings or not? If still cup and cone, disc hub.

Thanks for the replys guys. That was also my logic..go with future proofing the bike. I've only just discovered that you can actually get rear disc adaptors for frames so might even look into that at a later date. Gonna try and find out if either of those hubs are cartridge bearings or not now. So basically if only one of them is them go for the one with cartidge bearings yeah?

Thanks again, starting to like this forum now :)

TBH there were a lot of problems with 770 and 775 series hubs due to the smaller bearing, the alloy axle and the alloy bolt holding the freehub body on.

780 just seems to be a cosmetic change rather than a mechanical one.

If I were you- I'd go with SLX. Or Hope.

The 780 is Shimano switch of the 770 to it's touring category to go with the new 780 groupsets.
Ignore the T and M marketing though and anyway if it's for a retro bike T is more like retro than the current M.

770 and 775 are the older ones (775 being the disc version of the 770)
The M785 is the T780 counterpart.

They are all still cup/cone and there is nothing wrong with that setup, it works and still works very well.

HB-770/780 will give a wider spoke triangle iirc than the disc HB-775 (distance between flange)
but really the choice comes down to looks and if you want the disc option there or not.

I prefer the look of the 770 to the 780.

(edit just noticed i'm in hte >'98 section, ignore the retro comments.
My FH-M770 rear hub is working really nice still. Plastic cap covers a bit annoying but all still seems good.

Though if you are planning on a new wheel complete, check out ChainReactionCycles built up/custom built ones or MerlinCycles ones as they will probably turn out cheaper built and be good quality compared to buying septate from even themselves and building yourself.

Thanks for the extensive reply. I had a look at merlin cycles... they are pretty good aren't they :) Think I'm gonna see how it pans out with the others first (ebay) and see if I can get a bargain. Think I should really check what my rear hub is in the daylight. I know it's xt of some variety but not sure which. That'll probably have some influence on my choice.

Thinking I probably should've bought a new bike (have just spent £135 on a set of carbon forks for it too) :(

ok as the sites quicker this morning,
The 770 and 775 differ by the main body and the cover that goes over the splines, they both use the same axle bearings etc.
The 780 also is just a main body change, same bearings axle etc.
I think it is just the silver styling and the black option colour added. Same with the Q/R

It's slightly harder to find the information on Shimano now as you need to look under Trecking but
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/bl ... ID=jh3lC_v
If you look at the HB-M780 tech docs you'll see everything is A which means identical to M770 and pretty much to M785 (and if you look at M770 the M775)
easy :LOL:

New bike :eek:
buy a real bike, say from 1995

Back