Full face helmet for anything but DH

giftshopduane

Dirt Disciple
So here's the deal... I am looking for a new xc helmet but find that most bikes helmets are ill fitting, and if they are not I look like a real Dbag in it. Or more accurately like a special needs student. I have somewhat of a square skull, I've tried most (66one, Bell, Giro etc..) and they are flat out uncomfortable, and with carrying no less than 225lbs I look rather swollen in them. Whats the general consensus on running a full face for xc and trails. My other thought is I have a real pretty face and would hate to hurt it, although I don't mind covering it up with a full face..

Hmmmm?

There's a guy I see quite a bit at one of the XC tracks I ride at. He wears a Bell full face on his XC bike. Looks really really odd :LOL:
If you have no shame and don't mind people staring, go for it...

What about a 'trail' helmet, ergo look like a good bet?

Or a met parachute?
Something like a cross between a piss pot and normal helmet.

I know what your saying

I have an xc style helmet & a full face jobbie,

I usually wear my full face lid but dont commute to my playground wearing it :oops:
But once im up the woods tearing around i forget about it until i meet a dog walker
met a few lads up the same woods and they more often than not are wearing full face too :cool:

I will mostly wear my xc in summer when out for a spin on my xc bike on the canal paths and roads etc

But a full face for commuting, nah ;)

For a big chunky open face try a "the F-14". Or you could look at the urge enduromatic.

Could always try the old giro switchblade/met parachute, lighter, with more vents than a proper full face, but then you still look odd, without being as well protected.

d00m":2r6s57lz said:
For a big chunky open face try a "the F-14". Or you could look at the urge enduromatic.

Could always try the old giro switchblade/met parachute, lighter, with more vents than a proper full face, but then you still look GAY, without being as well protected.
;)

They've yet to make a helmet that looks cool. Couple that with the fact that the vast majority of other cycling clothing looks completely ridiculous and you start getting over the dbag factor. The fit thing is another issue, you need something that fits well or there's not much point in wearing a helmet in the first place. If the full face works for you...

Back