1998 Kona Kilauea Reynolds 631 Frame -a few questions

Midorimage

Old School Hero
I won a 1998 18 inch Kona Kilauea with Reynolds 631 tubing on the bay.... I will be building it up this summer when I return to the States.. I live in Japan for 11 months of the year, so I won't be able to touch it until I return. Can anyone help me out with the seat post size and Front Derailleur clamp size??

It didn't come with a fork, so I'm thinking of putting a rigid Kona Project 2 on it. The original spec fork was a Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Light.. 63 mm of travel after sag. I assume a 410 mm P2 is better than a 440 mm.. am I right?

Also.. would you go with silver, blue, or black components? (The Project 2 would be black)

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• kona Kilauea.jpg
    kona Kilauea.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,431
IIRC it's a 27.0 seatpost and 28.6mm clamp front mech.

With that colour it would look gorgeous with all black seatpost, bars and fork! :cool:

Thanks for the replies... TedC, yours looks really nice with P2 fork..

Two more questions.. is the BB 68 mm?? and the seatpost clamp 28.6?

I have XTR M900 28.6 front mech and matching rear in the parts box. waiting to be used. :)

From searching the net, I'm not sure if Kona currently makes a 420 P2 fork.. Bikeman.com only has 440 mm and 410 mm. I think a Kona would be the best match.. I really don't want to spend $$ on a high end rigid fork.. like a Vicious Cycle. Are there any other brands that I should look at?

From the parts box.. I have..

Silver Kooka Crank with Real Rings
Flite titanium saddle.. refurbished in brown
Syncros Silver flat..
original XT V Brakes -- they are in needs of pads..
Avid SD-2.0 - the red Ano.. is turning pink... :(
XT 8 Speed Cassette
Various Shimano BB
Old school 26.8 Syncros with a Pepsi can shim??

Now I need to search for

26 inch wheels,
nice black stem
Headset
8 speed shifters

Midorimage":wayhkrkd said:
Thanks for the replies... TedC, yours looks really nice with P2 fork..

Ta, currently in a quandry pn the forks - stick with the Z3's but get the resprayed to black (they're not the originals), or stick P2's on.

Two more questions.. is the BB 68 mm?? and the seatpost clamp 28.6?

Pretty sure that's correct, but can go measure this evening.

From searching the net, I'm not sure if Kona currently makes a 420 P2 fork.. Bikeman.com only has 440 mm and 410 mm. I think a Kona would be the best match.. I really don't want to spend $$ on a high end rigid fork.. like a Vicious Cycle. Are there any other brands that I should look at?

Personally, putting a non-Kona rigid fork on just wouldn't be right. Also check the new ones are for 26", not 700C. Used P2's come up regularly on ebay, slightly less often on here. Aim for triple butted rather than single. If they're not the correct colour, a respray/powder coat should be reasonable and I feel sure Gil on here could do new decals.

From the parts box.. I have..

Silver Kooka Crank with Real Rings
Flite titanium saddle.. refurbished in brown
Syncros Silver flat..
original XT V Brakes -- they are in needs of pads..
Avid SD-2.0 - the red Ano.. is turning pink... :(
XT 8 Speed Cassette
Various Shimano BB
Old school 26.8 Syncros with a Pepsi can shim??

Now I need to search for

26 inch wheels,
nice black stem
Headset
8 speed shifters

Have fun - it can get quite addictive.

TedC wrote..

Personally, putting a non-Kona rigid fork on just wouldn't be right. Also check the new ones are for 26", not 700C. Used P2's come up regularly on ebay, slightly less often on here. Aim for triple butted rather than single. If they're not the correct colour, a respray/powder coat should be reasonable and I feel sure Gil on here could do new decals.

At Bikeman.com in the States, new 26 inch triple butted P2 are about $70 and shipped free if you place an order of $100 or more... I think it is safer than ebay because I don't have to worry about the steerer length. I believe the paint on the frame is nice enough for now.. maybe in the future if I could find an inexpensive welder in New England (summer home) or Osaka (where I live) I would like a disc tab and new respray or powder coat. It seems like you folks in England can get things done like that for relatively cheap. In Japan.. at least for what I found was $400 for a basic respray. ..

i think youll need a 180mm+ streerer, headtube is 110mm. ive got a bare 18" frame here if you need any more measurements

Back