FSR linkage question

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
the plastic bushes - top hat shaped (pic below) - i'm looking to get some of these made and am wondering if nylon would do the job?

anyone have an idea of what the originals are made from.....

Attachments

• SAM_1660.JPG
    SAM_1660.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 727
only known them as nylon bushes/ bearings so would assume they are nylon

my old seatstay still has the betd roller bearings fitted, cant find the little o-rings that fit on ends where it joins chainstay

maybe sell/ swap it if i find the o-rings

I think they come up on eBay from time to time.

Liking the build - you've done a good job there.

Any chance you might have an idea of what your cranks and BB might weigh?

Not sure either, although i may be intrested in some replacements, i was going to leave my bushes in over winter just so i have less maintence for any bearings :LOL:

If i could replace all the bushes for new ones i may not convert to bearings at all?

Did a SWEET 22 mile XC ride on mine last sunday with the local club and i had a proper smug face on myself when the lad on the new Specialized FSR 29" wheel jobbie was struggling like hell and i came blasting past on the Retro-Ginger-Machine :D

A few of the lads were genuinely surprised at the 98 FSR, especially the weight, they seamed to think it was mad of lead :D

Ta Carge! was a blinder of a frame in the first place :) already had some of my friends drooling over it :p

i'm thinking of converting the rest of the linkages to bearings (at least the chainstay and seat stay ones) but for now i think i just want to sort out these nylon bushes as its faaaaaaaar cheaper :)

i'm getting some help from a chap on this forum, found some nylon rod on ebay for a few quid, if they turn out ok on the lathe, then i may be lucky enough to have some spares i can dish out :)
not sure when it'll all happen, but hopefully within the next month - keep your eyes peeled, i'll update this thread if/when there is some success :)

Carge":1q9hmxd9 said:
Any chance you might have an idea of what your cranks and BB might weigh?

afraid i dont! is there nothing in the weight weenies section?

here are my measurements:

scan10012_112.jpg

the bushes from the 'top of chainstay' look to be the same dimensions, but are longer (i.e. where it measures 8mm on this drawing, it looks to be about double that length) - need to confirm this though.
can't see any on that website that fit the dimensions i have, but haven't looked much yet.
i got some nylon rod off eBay for less than a fiver, if it works, then it may work out a worth while venture :)

possibly, but would be a bit of a gamble. will know [hopefully] in a few days if my nylon rod can be turned into some useful components!
may also be going for the 'top of chainstay' bushes too.
would be nice to make the complete set and have the a-links re done, but i'm thinking of leaving them as they look fine.

Latest posts

Back