Can anyone reccomend a good DJ/Urban wheelset?

IWish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As above please..

I'm building, well rebuilding a bike and it's going up market now.. Frame was designed for a 100-120mm fork and it had a 80mm so it was a twitchy bike but a real nice tight rider.. Now I'm changing it up into more of my kind of bike.

So It's getting a 1x9 treatment with CK headset and 120mm Bomber forks.. Hydro discs and whatnot.

I'm just lookng for a GOOD rim and hub that can be reccomended. I'm looking at DT spokes too. Laced 3X.

I'm also looking for any complete wheelsets. My budget isn't good but I can lace and my LBS will true and tighten for £5 a wheel.

My riding style for this bike will be road and street riding at times.. But mainly it'll be used for the urban equivelant of dirt jumping. I will be riding XC with it too though.

Hmm thats a toughie as you want ot use it for xc too. Id suggest looking at all mountain rims in that case.

I have da bomb rims on my urban bike but theyre no lightweight. That said though they mor ethan make up for it in strength being absolutely untouched where other rims were sometimes folded!

I don't mind some weight,

I just have no experience with wheels. Well.. what to build as a good rim.

Got a link?

Id suggest reading the mtbr pages for them or google searching.

The dee vee's rate well i believe. Not sure on the others - sun rims are said to be strong but at a weight penalty comparatively to others? WTB rims wont be strong enough for DJ i dont think unless you have a lot of finesse which i find is quite rare for urban as it can vary greatly.

As a do-it-all rim I'd go for Mavic EN321s (or are they EX321s?). I've had a set on Hope Pro2 hubs that have been on my hardcore hardtail for ever. They're solid, but not so heavy that you can't ride XC on them. Got mine from Merlin 5 years ago and they haven't even needed trued in that time!

May not have street cred with the yoofs though*

*I have no idea what is considered cool these days.

:LOL: To be honest.. I don't care how they look as long as they're good. I see no point in spending a bucket full of cash for some glorified neon piece of trash. A bike is for riding not for queening.

£200 for a Wheelset is a little out of my range when I can lace and get spokes dirt cheap. DT at that.. ;)

If I spend £50-£75 on new rims I can pick up some good Hope hubs or something from here, eBay or Pinkbike. I can service them and get all the bearings and such so that isn't an issue either.

The only thing that has to be new are the rims and even those if there used and mint I don't mind picking those up,

I saw Dr S Halo somethings but I haven't looked into them yet.

Back