Cheap(ish!)carbon parts?

Bpool77

Senior Retro Guru
I really fancy building a light as I can cheapish bike, Ive got my steel retro
classic so now I fancy a fly weight. My starting point is going to be a Coyote
frame light and i like the cnc looking rear ends (im not a label chaser!).I
also like the look of carbon parts, seen loads on ebay seats, seatpost, bars stem, forks will be Pace RC31 maybe or those
exotic ones might even do carbon cranks?

Are these cheapish carbon parts decent? (most are hong kong specials)
and would they stand my 106kg bulk? there only going to get rough road/canal path rideing and the odd bit of off road.

All input and opinions are really welcome as Im new to any bike older than 93 :LOL:

Thanks
Daz

Coyote are very good so one may still be considered a label chaser!

I dont like carbon nor trust it just yet but bear in mind its now in dh frame form for the toughest courses.

I know the cheaper stuff may be a different weave pattern and all that sort of stuff but majority will be safe im betting.

It will be the individual reviews of parts you want to look at.

Respect your opinion cyfa you seem very clued up from what i've read on your past retro posts.
And thats the thing with carbon for me, the only carbon I've owned was fishing rods? haha Im unsure of cheap Asian bits :cool: I dont fancy dropping of a kerb and the bars snap and I eat a stem then kerb.... cant see it but I need reasurance :LOL:
RE the Coyote there Decent in my eyes a under valued gem frame wise, there not CNC though. (please dont ask me what they are its something I read but dont understand but there not)
Anything else please add fellas

Bpool77":3fr4bylq said:
Respect your opinion cyfa you seem very clued up from what i've read on your past retro posts.

Ahhhh some recognition!

Cheers! - grin.

In reality a lot of the parts on the market today are asian bits whether theyre cheap or not.
Pay for what you get though maybe. Some stuff will be mass produced then sold under different names though so its often worth doing some research (moi a bargain hunter - never!).

Yeah teh coyotes are a bran dthat are very under rated so i understand what you mean yet their dh3 frame is said to be excellent value for money - the market is swimming with brand whores (sometimes for good reason, often not).

I think the exotic carbon stuff rates well so theres a good start.

I've got loads of carbon parts some high end German & some ebay Chinese all good.

Only difference i've found is the Chinese parts don't come with weight limits. But are a little heavier and a lot cheaper.
The German is for lowest weight and the brand name lover like me

I like reading cyfa2809 views :)

Bear in mind that as far back as 1991, companies like Ridgeback were speccing carbon handlebars and seatposts on their bikes and carbon fibre bicycle frames pre-date that. Todays carbon parts have 20 years plus R&D behind them.

When people talk about carbon being 'untested' and 'modern' they're either being deliberately ignorant of the above or they genuinely don't know what they're talking about.

Having said that, at 106kg, you're no lightweight and (just as some lightweight steel and aluminium parts came with a weight limit back in't good old days) some very lightweight carbon parts would probably best be avoided.

You get what you pay for and the old adage applies even to the 'modern' marvel that is carbon fiber... Strong, Light, Cheap... pick two!

tintin40":3lybawvm said:
I like reading cyfa2809 views :)

Too nice!

Your right though, the german stuff seems to be awesome but your wallet will certainly know how 'awesome' it is!

As Russell mentioned, carbon fibre has come on in leaps and bounds in the past few years.

And majority of parts have to meet certain standard regulations anyway although im not sure if the asian companies stick to them (rigourously?) or not.

I think the 'made in taiwan' tag doesnt necessarily mean cheap crap anymore.

If you know your onions you know em.... :cool:
Another one is carbon that much lighter? say a answer hyper light bar to a carbon FSA? Think im just shootin myself in the foot by not being a "label whore" and going carbon slut haha :LOL:

I'm slightly heavier then you and used to ride carbon bits.... on my road bike, post, forks, bars, rear stays on the frame etc.
Personally for people of our huskyness I would avoid carbon on structural parts of the bike if your a heavy rider.
On my XC/AM/FR bike I went with Thomson bits which are stronger and lighter then a lot of carbon bits for example.
I had a mate break a set of carbon bars a few years ago, carbon splinters up his arm :shock: Carbon tends to break suddenly as well rather then bend then snap like metal.

When your a bigger guy it's safer to err on the side of caution I think.

Dont like the sound of that, carbon splinters the thought of it makes me cringe.... imagine a carbon seat and post going cruuunchhh :shock: :shock:
This is my plan so far anyway.
Frame- Coyote ultralite
Forks- Pace Rc31 or exotic
Wheels/hubs- Spinergy Spox
Carbon seat
Carbon Bars
maybe post
maybe stem
Roll on pay day :roll:

Back