Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

What full sus xc bike?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=183535

Author:  steve wallace [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:11 pm ]
Post subject:  What full sus xc bike?

What is the best full sus xc frame?
I currently have a xtc team(nrs) and its light, well built and rides like hard tail while soaking up the rough stuff.

Author:  longun [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

theres no such thing steve, everyone rides different, has different tastes etc.
but................................the mongoose teocali, ticks every box :wink:

shit, just realised ive posted in a modern part of the forum lol :roll:

Author:  cyfa2809 [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

longun wrote:

Get out of it you!

But he is right, everyone is different and your terrain may define certain aspects of your bike.

That sai, i rode my mates voodoo canzo the other day and my what a bike!
It feels quite neutral on the trails but with that comes predictability.
Its not out and out xc though at 140mm on the fornt end (with rock shox u turn though).
It was also very light.

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:00 pm ]
Post subject:  .

A mate i ride with really rates his Mondraker, i'll find out what model it is :roll:

Author:  steve wallace [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

longun wrote:

Too heavy Chris
I like light weight bikes, the teocali weighs a ton

Author:  longun [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Only with heavy bits, the best is not the lightest don't forget. Intense spider appears to get very highly regarded as a contender. Also the mongoose Canaan, bitd a mere 4" travel lol

Author:  suburbanreuben [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Jibber jabba
Jibba jabba....

Author:  Andy B [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

The terrain the bike is being ridden on will dictate which is the best bike

I have to say that my Cube Sting HPC Pro is the best XC full suss bike I have ever ridden

It's lightweight, agile, climbs like a goat on speed, descends like a bat out of hell & rails singletrack like no other bike I've owned

Pics & spec in the link in my sig below...

Author:  longun [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

suburbanreuben wrote:
Jibber jabba
Jibba jabba....

is that one of them 2012 bioweaved modular carbon all mountain "rigs"

lol :wink: :D

Author:  cyfa2809 [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

No its the toy i had when i was a kid:

Author:  longun [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

now that is cool 8)

Author:  steve wallace [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Didn't know you had toys in your likeness Chris ;)

Author:  d00m [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

longun wrote:
Only with heavy bits, the best is not the lightest don't forget. Intense spider appears to get very highly regarded as a contender. Also the mongoose Canaan, bitd a mere 4" travel lol

I've got a Canaan, very good uphill or down. Quite a bit lighter than the teocali, and doesnt really need the lockout on the shock, very efficient (same system as teocali).

As for only having 4 inches of travel, its pretty typical for a marathon/xc bike.

Also, the Kona hei hei is a great frame (scandium tubing/magnesium rocker)
, as is the spesh epic.

Author:  longun [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

steve wallace wrote:
Didn't know you had toys in your likeness Chris ;)

you know me dude, we all have toys :wink:

some are just feckin way expensive pmsl

would love a canaan, or giant anthem, they appear sweeeeeeeet

Author:  makster [ Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've just ordered one of these.... http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2562
It'll be here in March, so will tell you then if it's as good as it's reviews!

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm sure there are plenty of short travel, lightweight full sussers around these days, but you have to ask, do you really need a full suspension bike for regular XC use? I've managed 25 years of XC riding without bounce and don't feel the need to change.

If its a big silly day out in the big hills with the local lunatics though, i choose something with bounce. Lots of bounce :twisted:

Author:  velomaniac [ Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

From a 98 onward point of view whilst still not being modern I'd go for a Trek Y-frame. Simple, tough, late ones are disc ready, virtual rear lock out when you stand for climbs. Not the best in many peoples eyes but this is retrobike and the latest kits well, just out of place. :wink:

Author:  mrlee [ Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

I wish I still had my 2005 ellsworth truth :cry: faultless bikes

Author:  brocklanders023 [ Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

I swear by the Orange 5. Had a couple and they're ace for all types of terrain. Think mine comes in around 28lb atm so not too heavy. :wink:

Author:  gradeAfailure [ Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Giant Anthem/Anthem X generally regarded as one of the best XC full sus out there...

Author:  cyfa2809 [ Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

gradeAfailure wrote:
Giant Anthem/Anthem X generally regarded as one of the best XC full sus out there...

I keep seeing that. Really didnt know they were on point when they were released.

Author:  cows_in_cars [ Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Re: Anthem/Anthem x, if you go down that route or any in fact try before you buy. I bought an anthem x two years ago, it was the single most horrible bike I have ever used! But loads and loads of people like them but just goes to show what one person like the other doesn't.

I always felt like it was too neutral, had no life or character to it, and also felt too slack going up and too steep when going down (and I used to ride a klein with a 71.5 head angle with a fork that had lost 90% of it's squish so was probably more like a 72.5 head angle, had no issue with that!).

I really liked my old santa cruz blur xc, apart from the bearings which weren't too bad but not super long lived, it was great. You should be able to find one for not too much, the old aluminium frame, the new carbon one are insanly costly.

Other than that a trek fuel or specialized epic? Or if less proper xc an orange 5 would be at the top of my list.

Edit:Although if it was me and only personal choice and depends what terrain you regularly ride on, I would just get a well sorted hardtail. After returning to a hardtail after being left rather poor after the stupid anthem purchase I wouldn't go back (although I said I would never go back to a hardtail after the blur!) for normal xc riding. A well made high volume tyre gives me more than enough comfort for most things although if I had the cash I would buy a set of tubulars, then my current bike would be perfect.

Also could think about 29er's bit of extra comfort, no 29er advocate but could be worth looking into...I might have made things more complicated for you, if you have listened to this advice (nonsense!). Good luck finding something you like.

Author:  steve wallace [ Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for the comments guys
I've been riding for 20 years so I'm not new to it all. Just after people opinions as I currently run a giant xtc full sus with pace front and rock shox rear.
It's quite a lite bike due to the components I have and have no immediate plans to get rid. But if I had to get rid for some reason I just wondered if I should be checking out anything else.

Author:  cows_in_cars [ Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

I would say, yes a new bike will be "better" but then if your still happy with what you have stick with it, far to easy to get caught up in the "new is better" idea.

Author:  Reluctant [ Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Anthems are great xc bikes, but need a bit of careful set up from the box. For most people, they're under forked and over stemed. Using a fork with 20mm more than stock, and a stem around 20mm shorter makes them feel way better. Some (older) Anthems came with flat bars, which need to be chucked in the bin and replaced with a much wider low rise riser bar. That's the way I like 'em anyhow. Don't rule out the longer (5") travel Trance either - great all round trail bikes which can be picked up at reasonable prices.

Author:  cows_in_cars [ Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not to turn this into a "i hate anthems" thread but I tried everything to get that bike to work for me but it just didn't. Tried shorter stem, longer stem, wider bars, higher bars, shorter bars, lower bars, bigger tyres, smaller tyres and every shock setting under the sun, to the point when I was mainly testing the bikes settings as opposed to riding the thing.

It always felt "wrong" and dead to me, but that just me.

And I am a out and out xc racer/endurance racer boy, so steep angles e.c.t are generally well come!

But as I said that was just me and in no doubt that they are great bikes, my point was that they are maybe not as universally amazing as some would like to make out that they are