Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Disc brake recommendations?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=183425

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Disc brake recommendations?

I'm after a new set for my Norco as i need my E4's for my Dirtworks.
So, are there any underated disc brakes out there or do you always get what you pay for?
Always on the hunt for a bargain me :D

Author:  jamabikes [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

new shimano deore are pukka and only £50 a brake on crc at the mo. will need to get discs and mounts separately though.

Author:  Dead Rats [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

People don't seem to rate Hayes Strokers, but I love em... £99 complete set on Merlin right now

Author:  EarlofBarnet [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Shimano or Avid for me. Both have a different feel, but both great :)

Author:  Dead Rats [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:21 pm ]
Post subject:  .

So, Avid Juicy brakes.
Are 5's much better than 3's and are 7's better than 5's?
By enough to justify the cost difference?

I've read good things about Hayes being good value for money.
Are they reliable, east to work on etc?

I've got XT brakes in dual control form on my XC bike and they have been faultless :D

Author:  hirosawa [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

EarlofBarnet wrote:
Shimano or Avid for me. Both have a different feel, but both great :)

Yes to Shimano, even the cheapies as have been mentioned. Like Avid in terms of performance and feel (got Elixirs on one my bikes), but they're a pain in the arse to bleed and such like (OK, that only matters if you do your own maintenance), and I seem to replace an awful lot of seals on them, especially Juicys.

Author:  Dead Rats [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: .

Grannygrinder wrote:
So, Avid Juicy brakes.
Are 5's much better than 3's and are 7's better than 5's?
By enough to justify the cost difference?

I've read good things about Hayes being good value for money.
Are they reliable, east to work on etc?

I've got XT brakes in dual control form on my XC bike and they have been faultless :D

not bled my Hayes yet but informed it's fairly straight forward so am "looking fwd to that". They do have a habit of developing sticky pistons though, but a really good clean with IPA and Dot 4 sorted mine right out. The set I use now were pretty cheap on eBay due to condition (much worse than the ones I'm selling!) but work just as well now they've been cleaned up.

Think I've just got really used to the shape of the levers now, other disc brakes like Avid feel weird for that reason

Author:  Raging_Bulls [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have a set of Formula Rx on my Copperhead, and they are great. So much power in fact, that it sounds like the spokes can't handle the strain when I really grab the front brake. You can really throw yourself over the handlebar with one finger.

However I must admit that I had a lot of problems setting them up properly.
I nearly replaced them with a set of Hope Tech M4's, but now that they're working properly, I really feel like I have too much braking power already.

Author:  jamabikes [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

please dont buy avids, so poo. so poo.

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:06 pm ]

/\Noted :wink:

Author:  coomber [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have a set of Clarkes II for my saracen zen. Love them, the feel and the power.

Skeletal's are their newer ones and review pretty well. Worth bearing in mind when they can be found for £80 or so new on ebay for both front and rear.

Author:  dyna-ti [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Shimano- Excellent but the seals arent replaceable so when they leak theyre only fit for dumping
[Though i have known them to weep a little from the calliper in really cold weather]

Avid-Dont know much about them but was warned off by my fav mechanic.Said he saw them the most for service.

Hope- Used them all the time.First C2's then X2's[though i think the C2's are more powerful :wink:]
I like Hope.good company and very highly regarded by all.

Others i cant comment upon

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:10 pm ]

They are a nice looking brake, i had wondered how they performed.

Author:  coomber [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not plugging Clarkes over others but had more use of them then others. I would say they are very helpful as my mate rounded some bolts off fitting new pads and he called them and they sent replacements free of charge first class in the post. British company as well if that means anything to anyone.

Author:  Rumble [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Across my varioue bikes I have...

Shimano LX from a few years back - it's OK, nothing more
Hayes 9 - I like em, plently of power and it's on/off, which is the way I like it
Magura Julies - they're also OK, I'm not a huge fan but there's nothing wrong as such
Avid Code 5s, nice and powerful, nice feel, not had to do any maintenance so can't comment on that
Formula Megas - awesome. simply awesome. Huge amounts of power (I can lock my front wheel going downhill if I really want to), no fade, good feel at the lever. I've ridden a lot of brakes over the years and done a fair bit of downhilling and I honest can't imagine requiring any more power from a brake on a pushbike.

Next time I need any new brakes I'll be going for something from the Formula range.

Author:  spudgun [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Don't rate shimano at all,had deore,xt and xtr, and none were as good as hope or maguras I've used

Author:  dyna-ti [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:10 am ]
Post subject: 

The saints i had scared me for a 2 pot brake :shock: Very impressive 8)
I think the thing about shimano is that although the seals cant be changed they are far different than standard seals in that i believe them to be multiple seals.I dont know this for sure but the fact they have a short[reasonable that is]lifespan makes me think that shimano has done something different :?
Just purely speculation.
Anyone taken or attempted to take one apart shed any light on their construction?

Author:  steve wallace [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

I run tektro auriga , quite budget but they have never failed in 3 years and have good braking force when coupled with my superstar 203 floating discs
Unlike my mates hope brakes which never seem to work properly

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:57 pm ]

RUMBLE; Are the Avid codes very heavy? I've got an odd older one i bought for the caliper and that weighs a ton :shock:

Author:  cyfa2809 [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Auriga's arent too bad for a budget brake! Simple/effective.

I have 3 sets of hayes nines and that all i have ever had. Foraging into hope and avid soon though after about 5 or 6 years on the hayes (i have gotten pretty good on them though!).

Author:  Rumble [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: .

Grannygrinder wrote:
RUMBLE; Are the Avid codes very heavy? I've got an odd older one i bought for the caliper and that weighs a ton :shock:

The ones I have are kind of a hybrid model, they have the normal juicy 5 lever which saves a bit of weight. I guess the caliper is pretty beefy but the bike they're on is a bit of a tank anyway.

Author:  Grannygrinder [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:34 pm ]

I bought some Saint master cylinders and i was going to hook em up to some Code calipers(which may or may not have worked).
I've got one, so perhaps i should pursue this and find another one??
So many choices :roll: