re-waterproofing - how?

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
fairly self explanatory title..

I seem to remember comments along the lines of hairspray or washing in fabric softener..or is simply a case of buying that stuff that camping shops sell for tents?

my jacket is nearing the end of it's usable, cycling life, and i'm trying to drag it through the last few months of wet

ta for the help :)

nikwax, ive got a can of spray stuff for the odd small things but i think you can get wash in stuff for a whole jacket

deffo do not use fabric softener. It clogs up all the pores in the fabric. Nikwax wash-in proofer does the job.

ta very much. As nikwax seems to be the choice of the discerning gentleman *ahem* I shall hunt some down

REKIBorter":17d8eyds said:
deffo do not use fabric softener. It clogs up all the pores in the fabric. Nikwax wash-in proofer does the job.

what he said, but make sure you clean the detergent tray well, and run the machine on a rinse cycle empty before you do it.

I think I'll go for the spray-on one, rather than the wash in one. My jacket has a fleece collar and mesh liner, and i'd rather only the outside was waterproofed! I'll also grab some of the tech wash stuff too.

thanks gents

with the spray on one do it in an out house as all though it smells ok, it really gets every where. and before you buy it really do try the tumble dryer method. i assume that its just the water isn't beading on the coat any more, this isn't a chemical thing.

Personally I prefer this stuff to either the two stage wash in Nikwax product or any spray on one.

30c2in1CleanerProofer.png

http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cfm?c ... roductid=4

It's very easy to just throw your waterproof in the machine and then tumble dry it afterwards for a full and thorough reproofing.

Just to let you know, Nikwax is water based and uses no fluorocarbons.
So......it is earth friendly.:)
Also, fluorocarbons are not as durable as the water-based polymers that make up Nikwax.

Back