New build - Kona - Pics

hunterst

Dirt Disciple
After i built my first bike over the summer, i decided what i also needed was something a bit
more road friendly with skinny tyres as my mountain bike was just not a great ride on the tarmac.

So, I've been putting together a new bike over the last couple of months.

its built around a 2004/5 steel Kona lavadome frame with sliding dropouts to allow me the SS option.
White Brothers carbon forks.
Halo freedom 29er wheels and 28mm tyres

Its not quite finished (no front mech) but took some pictures of it outside today. I think its turned out quite nice really.

Not even been for a ride on it yet - but hopefully this weekend should see its first outing.

Pictures below -

DSC_4651.jpg

DSC_4654.jpg

DSC_4667.jpg

DSC_4656.jpg

DSC_4655.jpg

DSC_4674.jpg

DSC_4679.jpg

DSC_4669.jpg

Thanks
Darran

That is a good looking build! Liking that a lot. Impressed you got the 29er wheels in that frame, I always wondered whether they would fit a 26er frame.

Bet it has a good turn of speed on it when you finally get it on the road :cool:

Its surprising just how much room there is.

I think it would even be possible to fit a 2 inch tyre in there.

nice build, i bought some 29er p2s a while back with this kind of thing in mind, i would like to know if you think a mtb tyre would fit through the rear stays, do you have much clearence there?

There is quite a bit of clearance, although not as much as you would probably need.

Dont forget that as well as getting wider the tyre would also get taller

You might be okay with a 2 inch tyre - maybe even more, but it would be pretty much try it and see.

DSC_4748.jpg

DSC_4746.jpg

That looks super cool!
I would assume the pedal clearance would be much better with those wheels, rather then sticking 1" slicks on 26" wheels.

I think the pedal clearance would be pretty much the same as running a 26" wheel with a 2.3

The diameter of the 29er wheel with a 28c tyre is approx 68cm which seems to be just a bit smaller than my 26" wheel with a specialized enduro 2.3 tyre on it.

These are just rough measurements

Back