thinking of a change...

Simonoid

Dirt Disciple
I have been thinking about making the change from early bikes to brand new from a riding front anyone bought any thing great recent??

Yeah, last year I bought my first hybrid bike, cannondale badboy, oh and another fatbike.

Hybrid has been a godsend, slicks, reliable and awesome for extra fitness.

Fatbike is fun and my main plaything.

Both are a huge change for me but a welcome one.

I ride a 2011 bike and am fairly happy about it. Great for cruising, fast, light and reliable. Does need a lot more fiddling than an old bike though.

Give it a go, but stay clear of 29ers for now. Get some experience on a modern 26" MTB first, otherwise you may think that all moderns respond rather slow.

i did try a 29er, though jumped in at the deep end and bought a second hand jeff jones spaceframe :shock:

very nice indeed but too posh for what i needed.

I bought my Merida Trail bike (check out my thread), awesome bike for the money! I have mainly ridden retro bikes up til then. Now they sit in the shed, whilst I ride my full suspension goodness :LOL:

I got a 2010 boardman pro hardtail on the bike2work scheme, so far ive done 2300 miles on it virtually fault free and very smooth to ride. Infact ive not rode retro since :oops: :LOL:

I've been riding modern stuff more than the old stuff over the last year and have become spoilt with brakes that work and forks that work and less backache.

I've really enjoyed my Cotic Soul over the last three years but will be replacing it this month with a Cotic Bfe as I've been doing stuff on the Soul that it wasn't designed for. The XC box will be ticked with a new Strangelove 29 Prototype next month which I'm pretty excited about.

My other modern is a Banshee/Mythic Spitfire. Didn't get on with it at first, but after rebuilding it with lighter wheels and tyres, shorter cranks and longer Bombers it's really doing the business now. Overkill for XC, but for the scary big stuff up in the hills its simply the best. I just need to grow bigger balls to get the most out of it.

Dr S, sounds like you have got some good toys coming your way..

I have gone from this Litespeed Tellico:
IMG_5995.jpg

To this Scott Scale:
IMG_7553.jpg

Old pic, have done a ton of upgrades to get it XTR'd and bling'd up.

Despite the 4Ib weight gain with the modern (to 20.5 Ibs), I now have excellent brakes, suspension and a riding position much more suited to riding off-road, oh and it looks great too IMO

Back