Dot 4 or Dot 5 brake fluid what's the difference?

ramstein-dh

Retro Guru
I'm going to my local car spare's shop in the morning
before i go and buy my brake fluid what would you
guy's recommend?
Dot 4 or Dot 5.1?

What is the difference and will it really matter , this is for hope brakes
and for downhill and will not be used all the time.
Also does the brand make a difference?

cheers

:LOL: :LOL:

5.1 is designed for high performance cars so over kill on a bike imho.

i use what ever i have at the time. you can use either in a bike brake designed for dot. not sure you can mix them so best flush the old stuff out first to be sure. to be sure.

5.1 is a higher boiling point so will be more useable. not sure how important that is on a pushbike

But its also slightly thicker isnt it? Not sure if you would notice but many have used either/or with no problems. DOT 5.1 is more expensive though i expect.

I paid £10 for a litr of mobil dot 4 fluid.

thanks for the info peeps :D

price will be my guide i guess , but i don't need 1 litre.

Are all makes the same as i suspect a well known name will be more
expensive also.

Yeah price varies by brand. Mine was just teh cheapest biggest on ebay. I dont like to run out of things! I have used 20% or so in a year i guess. Probably eaten most of it.

try Wilkinson for the DOT brake fluid if you want cheapness - but still good as it needs to meet the spec.

dot 5.1 is synthetic. dot 4 and lower is mineral based. on older cars dot 5 is a no-no as it can rot the seals. i can't imagine that is an issue on bikes, but to be honest, the benefits of dot5 are wasted on bikes, they just dont generate the extreme heat that high performance car brakes do, so save your money and use dot4, you wont get close to the limits of dot4, not even nearly, not even if you heat your discs to to a nice shade of blue ;)

Ah so thats why people saybrake fluid will eat paint yet when i eat my brake fluid (dot 4) i dont die.

Always remember that DOT4 and DOT5.1 can be mixed but DOT5 is completely different and not used on bikes at all.

Oh, and Shimano use Mineral oil which can't be mixed with DOT stuff and vice-versa.

Back