Mashed ISIS BB removal

reptile smile

Devout Dirtbag
Right, what do you make of this then..?

In the end, today, I finally tired of the slop in the rear triangle on my Marin East Peak. The point at which I finally decided how I felt about cheap full suspension vs Kona hardtails was just after my head hit a tree hard enough to think, "man, I'm glad I'm wearing a helmet".

Even if I could sort out the bearings and slop, I don't love the V brake at the back, and I still have Cyfa's disk brake ready to go that he (incredibly generously) karma'd to me. I'm ready, in short, to go back to hardtails with my tail between my legs.

I got home and looked up cheap Kona frames (in that all my favourite bikes I've owned have been Konas); as ever, I have no money, or at least, I only have what I can sell the Marin for...

To cut a long story short, I've ended up with a Kona Hoss. It weighs just less than a metric ton, but I rather like the look of it. The very pleasant young chap I bought it from warned me that the BB was stuck, and he'd "slightly damaged the frame but not the threads trying to get it off".

He wasn't kidding. I have no idea whether they'll come off at all. There doesn't really seem to be anything left externally of the non-drive side BB shell, and so I have no idea whether it'll be possible to remove it. The drive side isn't much better. Thing is, it had a seat post and a seat and a Deore rear mech that I could sell if it all went south, and so I thought, for the £25 he was asking, I'd take that gamble.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how to remove them, and what my chances are? I've put some photos of it here

I'm currently thinking "LBS" but I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone has any bright ideas..?[/url]

Looks like to me he hasnt taken off the axle spacer before using the tool for the bb!

So maybe if you could get the spacer off, there may be enough shell left to bash a tool in and 'recreate' some splines to grip onto.

if that's anything like my old raceface BB then those spacers do not come off. no matter how hard you try.

i've no words of wisdom for trying to remove it. i'd drop it off with the LBS and see what they say.

A workamte had a similar problem, he cut a groove and wedged them open and przed them off i think.

Thanks guys.

I took it to the LBS on Monday, and on Tues afternoon they phoned me to tell me it was out.

When I got there, they hadn't realised the non-drive side was still in, as trhe shell was completely bashed off. Hmm. Had to wait while they removed that, but that came out too, and the frame was remarkably intact.

They traditionally then just seem to make up a number of what to charge me, and the number they made up was £15, which I thought was a bit steep for getting a BB out, but then I know I couldn't have done it myself, and I guess it probably was half an hour's work, so if it was £30 an hour labour, I guess that's a fair cop.

I built the bike up last night. Despite the headshell bearing race shattering in my hands, it went remarkably well, and I'm about to give it its maiden voyage into work. I'm delighted with it. A bit battered, but with real character. Like me... ;)

Pics and stuff in the Readers' Bikes forum when I get a chance later.

Cheers guys!

The Spacers are there on most, the crank arm butts up against them. It's by design and while they can come off for servicing. They aint easy.
BUT any ISIS/Octalink bottom bracket tool (i.e. A Standard one with bigger hole in the middle) will not even notice them.

Do you have what came out, it might be useful for me as spares ?

reptile smile":4gfcfvgt said:
They traditionally then just seem to make up a number of what to charge me, and the number they made up was £15, which I thought was a bit steep for getting a BB out.

i'd say that was a bargain considering the mess the previous owner left it in.

Back