Riding 1x8, front mech useful?

bonty98

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi there,

I´m planning going 1x8 on my privateer.
Can I use my front mech keeping the chain from falling off?
If something more specific is needed, please feel free to tip me :)

I´m planning using my xt m737 crank with a 32T ring.

TIA

/J

You can use a front mech as a chain device to help keep the chain on the chainring

Just use the L & H limit screws to lock it into the desired position

You could use a specific chain device, but if you're using a square taper BB you'll need a seat tube mounted one & I believe that you can only get modern ones such as the E Thirteen XCX ST (pretty expensive, but very high quality) and Superstar XCR ST Chainkeeper - SEAT TUBE MOUNT or Superstar XCR ST Single Ring Chainguide - SEAT TUBE MOUNT

http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx_st.html

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... 06db2e2e50

I have the E Thirteen XCX ST on my '95 Marin Team Ti as the Superstar one was not available when I built the bike

I have heard that the Superstar ones are a little flimsy, but at 1/4 of the price of the E Thirteen, I guess you get what you pay for.

cyfa2809":339y7qrm said:
Why seat tube mount only?
Because the other type use the external BB fitment, you remove one drive side spacer from the BB and the chainguide fits in the BB spacers place

Thanks for the replies :)

I´ll try and see if I can use the mech first.
But the e13 version looks really nice.

And yes, it´s a square taper bb.

Sure you need a chain keeper? I've run a 1 x 9 bike for the last two years with nothing but the chain's own tension to keep it there. No problems.

J i m s t e r":1s0te77o said:
Sure you need a chain keeper? I've run a 1 x 9 bike for the last two years with nothing but the chain's own tension to keep it there. No problems.

Really? I tried that before converting to chain devices as my chain would fall off 3-4 times a ride.

Erm would have just been normal bb's something like un54 etc.
and blackspire ds1 and a truvativ one which i dont know the name of and another truvativ double roller style one and another couple which i cant remember. Secured just by tightening the bb with the device sandwiched in between frame and bb.

Back