Fate of my rear shock?

FST4RD

Senior Retro Guru
Well not my rear shock, my partners.
She rides a 2000 (think it's a 2000) Specialized Rockhopper FSR, has the tubed front end, rather then mono.
Anyways... on the back it's running a Fox Float. I have just noticed that the coating on staunchon part is wearing, mainly around the first bit wear the shock sits on it's sag. Also there is 1 piece about 5mm round that has worn through and it's nice and shiny, so I'm assuming it's through to the alloy? It's not leaking any air or oil...
So I guess what I am asking is, that the shock is poked even though it's still working fine right? And she should keep on riding till it starts leaking?

It sounds very worn - it is 12 years old after all. If it's still holding air I don't see a problem, I'd keep riding it until the seals go.

I'm pretty sure you can send it off to your fox service center and they would replace that part, cheaper than buying a new shock. Use it until it starts losing air

that's normal on an fsr design after a long period of time. when they compress the design tries to bend the shock a bit which encourages wear on the shock body. wait for it to blow then get it serviced by mojo or tf tuned, last time (when i was in the trade) i had one sorted it cost about 75 for the service and another 35ish for the shock body. it won't cost anymore after it blows than it would before so you might aswel try and get the nasty winter out of it while it's not in the best shape.

Awesome! Thanks guys.
Where the wearing is it's smooth, you can't feel it, even wear the real shiny bit is.

Back