3 pc cranks, what is out there?

seadragonpisces

Old School Hero
Hi all,

I am looking for something to tart up my cruiser and am looking for some ideas on a cool/funkyquality/retro set to put on my bike

Am looking at FSA, Tune, Middleburn, Gusset, Octane, Premium, Eclat, but would appreciate any others. My bike is silver and also has some black on it. I would prefer something in a matt black, or a nice aluminium or antique metal look.

Thanks in advance

You have pretty much got it nailed there without suggesting anything specifically. DJ bikes still run 3 pc a lot. I assume you mean a solid axle and 2 arms (or is that 5 piece with the bb???).

Unless you mean arms and all in one bb ?

Hiya.

I mean the axle with 2 arms but am not too bothered as long as it will fit and looks good. I am told I need a US to Euro converter and then after that I am ready to go.

I am a bit clueless about what will work but as long as it will fit with a single speed bike then I am free and clear

So you have the old BMX/ Schwinn/ one pcs crank size bottom bracket shell?

OK, you need a DMR Wondercup convertor. They push in and tighten together with three long Allen head bolts. Toucan then screw in any old square taper or ISIS bottom bracket. World is your oyster when itcomes to cranks then. What does the bike look like, what style are you going for?

Si

Hi Si.

I have attached a link to a pic from the Google image gallery so you get an idea. Some of the Felt Cruisers are based on the old vintage 'Indian' motorcycles, so hence they have a faux petrol tank showing, which I love. I have 2 Felt Cruisers like this and I love the more aggresive look. The bike didnt come to be with all the original parts, so I thought I might as well then customise it again to my own taste.

I am trying to make it in what is call the 'Board Track' style but in my own way. If you take a look on ratrodbikes, in the gallery section under Board Track you will see what I mean. I want to keep the range of colours to a minimum and give the bike a nice clean clinical look, but with also a big nod to the vintage/cafe racer side of things.

I will need a BB converter for sure, Wonder cups has been mentioned as a good one to me before, but looking through all the 100's of types of BB's and cranksets is a total nightmare, there are so many to choose from. I cant decide between a slimmer/racier crank arm style or a more chunky/square BMX style. Although I like some of the BMX ones I think a more sleeker design would suit the look I am going for. I am liking the 'Tune' Bigfoot a lot but it is so expensive and I am not sure I can justify the cost. Eclat make some nice ones and they dont look as chunky as other BMX cranks, so they are an option too.

So far I have changed the grips to Black/Silver Brooks Plump grips and I have changed the chunky seat for a racier black Brooks Team Pro Vans saddle, which looks amazing.

I have a contact in the USA who is building me some wheels. Black 24'' x 65mm rims, 12 gauge spokes with a Felt Double 5-star hub and 24x3 slick tyres,

http://nico.fait.du.vtt.free.fr/petites ... 0_4337.JPG

You could do with having a chat with Al. He built a cool looking cafe racer cruiser a few years back. Personally I'd go for a honey coloured sprung Brooks saddle and matching leather grips on that bike. Silver cafe racer drop bars would look cool too. Crank wise, something plain jane and silver would work best- let the frame do the talking. Middleburns are timeless if you ant to go new, of a pair of old French Nervars or TA Cyclotourist's maybe??
A truss rod fork would also look cool.

Thanks, who is Al? :).

The bike did come with light brown handlebar grips and a honey Brooks B33 saddle but I didnt like it but thanks for the tip anyway, I might hate the look I am going for and change it 6 months later anyway.

The middleburns are growing on me for sure, they do seem to suit both a modern and retro look. The drop bars is a great idea, I hadnt really considered it. I was thinking of something like on an old Norton motorcycle and to get that effect I can turn my bars upside down. I will post some pics to get views :).

Thanks ramstein-dh on the tips too, I will look again at the azonics. I assume you like the band Rammstein too, awesome, Sonne is the best song ever :)

Back