Your Views on Shimano SLX 2010 range

ramstein-dh

Retro Guru
Right i have been offered an amazing deal from a racer friend of
mine on 2010 SLX shadow rear mech medium cage shifters and SLX M665 brakes all for £140.00 and are all new.

My question is would these be good for a fat git like me and last on a DH bike

I have been told these are the step up from XT and a step below from Saint.

I have been told the brakes are good and better than hope.
Also i have been told they are like the old saint's which were splendid.

What do you think?

i love my slx stuff jay
have all that kit you have been offered on tremor and it works great, im not as 'fat' as 19 stone but iam 16 and half. Stops me great and never had an issue with shifting.
I have the matching chainset double on my boardman.

It also looks great imo

Id say take it. Looks pretty good aswell.

And if he is your mate and you dont like it maybe you could arrange a trial or something?

SRAM and shimano both have a hand me down system going on which i think is great (but a bit lazy).

I just replaced my XTR of various years with a mix of 10sp SLX/XT (think 2011, maybe 2010). Very impressed with most of the SLX gear and it shifts at least as well as my older XTR. Only parts I'm not too bothered about are the SLX shifters that seem very clunky and lardy compared to the XTR. Saying that, the XTR one's were the best shifters I've ever had. Don't know about the brakes as I always run Hope.

when shimano dropped lx mtb (lx is now a hybrid bike group) they also dropped hone and the result they amalgamated lx and hone to produce slx a semi hardcore groupset the pedal threads on the crank arms have steel inserts where as xt does not. slx is a freeride marketed group below saint and below xt as a good quality xc/trail groupset ;)

well thats the shimano/madison blurb anyway

This is 2010 9 speed ?

as and others will correct, the 10 sp rear mech has a slightly different path built in and some bodge (lets call it tweak) is needed to use it with anything less than 10 spd, to the precision it was designed for anyway ?

the 9sp stuff is all pretty good afaik.

Back