Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:08 pm 
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 339
Location: lIVERPPOL
big.eck wrote:
i wouldnt use anything less than 4 pots for dh with hope brakes , i'm not shy @ 19 stone and i found the 4 pots good and the 6ti's (which i use on my san andreas) do the job very well 8)

i run 225mm discs f+r too :wink:


Hmmm! Cheers

Well i have been offered 2011 hope team M4 green and black for £200.00 posted

May get them or try and get the black and gold as you can get pairs for around £80.00

Surely though you would only need 4 pot for the front and 2 pot rear?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:17 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 8771
Location: scotland
ramstein-dh wrote:

Hmmm! Cheers

Well i have been offered 2011 hope team M4 green and black for £200.00 posted

May get them or try and get the black and gold as you can get pairs for around £80.00

Surely though you would only need 4 pot for the front and 2 pot rear?


well i have nothing to say but good things about the ti6's , for me there perfect 8)

i could use a m4 on the rear with a 203mm disc but why just have a cake ? i want to eat it too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


the team green ones are nice but they would'nt go with my orange paintwork :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:28 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:03 am
Posts: 1412
Location: Edinburgh
Are you considering any brands other than hope? I know they have their fans and they're certainly well made but i've never been that impressed with any hopes i've used.

Don't get too caught up in 4 or 6 pot, I have formula megas on my cannondale, they're 2 pot and are hugely powerful, even in the alps. Same goes for formula The Ones, which are often considered amongst the most powerful out there.

If I had £200 to spend on a set of brakes it would go on formulas (megas or the ones, check their website for clearance deals). You'd also get saints for that budget. Failing that I got a set of avid code 5s off here for I think £85 posted. Even they are plenty powerful for anything short of full on dh racing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:32 pm 
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 339
Location: lIVERPPOL
Rumble wrote:
Are you considering any brands other than hope? I know they have their fans and they're certainly well made but i've never been that impressed with any hopes i've used.

Don't get too caught up in 4 or 6 pot, I have formula megas on my cannondale, they're 2 pot and are hugely powerful, even in the alps. Same goes for formula The Ones, which are often considered amongst the most powerful out there.

If I had £200 to spend on a set of brakes it would go on formulas (megas or the ones, check their website for clearance deals). You'd also get saints for that budget. Failing that I got a set of avid code 5s off here for I think £85 posted. Even they are plenty powerful for anything short of full on dh racing.


Any brand other than Hayes , also i like hope as they are easy to bleed.
I almost had a set of Formula the one for £200.00 but they sold.

Thanks for the info , i would prefer mineral oil to be honest with you.
And was looking at the Older saint, or newer XT.
I think the most powerfull brakes i have used are the old XT 4 pot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:42 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:03 am
Posts: 1412
Location: Edinburgh
There are what I have: http://store.formula-brake.com/items/brake-set-mega-2

They don't seem to have any the ones at the moment but those megas are still a lot of brake for the money. It's more or less the same brake, difference being that the caliper is 2 piece rather than one with the more expensive brake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:33 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 pm
Posts: 7006
Location: Odense, Denmark
I don't weigh anything remotely near your weight and found Minis to be lacking on long downhills in Provence a couple of years ago, but that was with 180 front and 160 rear.

Moving up to 180 F&R with 4 pots helped a lot on the trip the year after.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:05 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:41 am
Posts: 1083
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
I weigh in at 20 stone and only use 2 pot calipers and they are fine. I use 7" rotors front and back. That's on my XC/FR bike
Even on my DH bike (Giant ATX1 DH, not particulary light) I run Shimano SLX brakes and 8" rotors with no issues.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:29 pm 
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 339
Location: lIVERPPOL
FST4RD wrote:
I weigh in at 20 stone and only use 2 pot calipers and they are fine. I use 7" rotors front and back. That's on my XC/FR bike
Even on my DH bike (Giant ATX1 DH, not particulary light) I run Shimano SLX brakes and 8" rotors with no issues.


Splendid may go for the hope's then buddy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:10 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 9:12 pm
Posts: 2941
i weigh 17stone and run slx on my tremour with 203mm F+B and the stop very well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:29 pm 
Temporary Ban
Temporary Ban

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm
Posts: 339
Location: lIVERPPOL
dirtydozen wrote:
i weigh 17stone and run slx on my tremour with 203mm F+B and the stop very well


I was just thinking back , i used to use Hayes 9 on my bighit when i weighted 17 stone and there crap they used to stop me on the spot.

May get the mini's


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group