marin advice wanted-east peak/wolf ridge/rock springs

tat2

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, im getting back into this mtb lark after a 10-12 year lay off, im keen on the marins listed above (was always a marin fan...) but was wondering what the differences were with all these very similar looking frames?
Im more a recreational rider than anything else, no stupid dangerous downhilling for me, so im guessing one of the 3 above would be suitable? And if i remember rightly marin size their frames differently-im 5'11" and used to use a 17.5" (med) quake and B17 back in the day, does that sound right?
Cheers in advance folks and sorry for asking any stupid questions!!

I'm no Marin expert, however I believe the Rock Springs and Wolf Ridge are freeride bikes with about 6 inches of rear wheel travel. I know they used to have adjustable rear wheel travel from 4-6 inches in the mid 00's so they might still have. Basically the difference between the two would have been componentry as the Wolf ridge was about £400 more expensive, with the Attack Trail as the top bike in the line up (about £500 more than the Wolf ridge).

The East Peak was a more XC specific bike with 4 inches of rear wheel travel It was also the lowest in Marin's FS XC line up with the Rift Zone, Mount Vision and Mount Vision Pro above it.

I think the RS and WR share the same frame and shock (someone may want to correct me on this) and the EP and RZ also do the same. Are you looking at a specific year's bike, as I'm sure there have been changes along the way. If I was you I'd go for a Wolf Ridge of the three bikes you suggested. By 2006 or 7 they had Fox forks and were really well rated. In fact I was going to spend my hard earned wedge on a 2007 one at the beginning of 2008 but was lured away with an unbelievable deal on a 2007 Stumpjumper FSR Comp. I often regret not going for the Marin.

Back