Erm...I don't think I like Merlin Rock Lobsters

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bought this for a mate
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481 ... 23176b1761

on paper it all sounds good. Paul Sadoff geometry, 853 steel, decent enough XT groupset and quite a nice fork

but I rode it home today for giggles and, okay this was a road commuter trip, it was cold and dark and I have a chest infection so not a great start or a judgement of how it would behave off-road, it was probably the worse bike I have ridden in a while.
Such a short top-tube with what seemed a high head-tube making the reach even shorter. It felt like a shopping bike.
The frame didn't feel right either...it kinda shakes rather than whips like a good steel frame. I certainly didn't feel like I would want to do anything on it but gently plod along on it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It's not really the frame's fault judging by that picture. It's the front end.
The fork is too long, and that stem/bar combo is a disaster.

But yes, sometimes it all sounds right on paper and ends up being horrid to ride. As a former C'dale owner, I'm all too familiar with this phenomenon.

Yeh...I did wonder about the front end. The stem is way too high. The forks are I guess at 100mm travel but I think can be 'shimmed' to 80/90mm.

Strangely set-up by Merlin Cycles.

Not 100% sure but would have thought Merlin build stem etc on customer wishes, I know they are pretty flexible.

They've sold enough to know what goes, so cant see them choosing taht combo.

Nice deal though, but terrible description. No list of parts, size etc!

I have tried this on my dekerf.. i installed 100mm REBA forks on my single speed Dekerf thats build around 80mm forks it felt like ridding an old raleigh, the turning was really slow, generally the handling was poor compared to ridding it whit the P2 forks i used to..

Now I have fitted a much shorter stem (60mm compared to the 105mm before) it helps a lot! I'm still not sure I'm happy whit it, some trail ridding will tell!

What a simply howwible expewience it must have been, Carl!
I hope you're wecovewing with a decent bottle or two.
;)
I'd agree with the comments above; the forks look too long.
That said, The frame is only 853 front triangle; the rear could be anything.
The marginal cost of 853 over plumbers pipe is not great, a ;) and that Reynolds logo implies a certain quality, whether posessed or not. There is a growing trend with frame builders to not state what tubing is used; their name is enough. And so it should be!

@ Stinus : You can lower any Reba to 80mm with some original Rock Shox spacers.

I'm actually taking that a step further on my own Reba, as I need it to be 50mm (shallow head and seat tube angle even with a fixed fork).

The fork is too long giving a really slack geometry. Shortening the stem alters the handlebar leverage, but the solution is to get the geometry right.

Merlin sell them with very long forks as standard. I would say even longer than those. I've got a 98 ali one and it is nice to ride and I've got fairly long travel forks on it but I'm pretty short and it feels just fine. I haven't tried the steel ones though.

wallei.jpg

Back