Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:01 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:29 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:09 am
Posts: 1260
Location: Chiswick, London
So even though I'm a sucker for RBs and hang around this site like an addict round a crack-house I mainly ride modern bikes.. and 'the wife' pretty much only rides modern bikes.

I bought these Wildgrippers off the bay the other day without any real plans for them. When they appeared in the flesh Amy liked 'em and I thought they'd look pretty rad on her 'Dale, so I took the opportunity to retro-up her bike a bit (and score brownie points).

Soooo.. here they are.


Image



Now I can't decide if they look 8) , or :lol: , or :shock: , or :facepalm:

I'm definitely leaning t'wards 8)....but there's something eating away at my brain telling me modern mixed with retro is a sin :twisted:

What's your view?? Modern is modern.. retro is retro.. or hey its cool lets just forget about it and make love not war.


Discuss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:45 am
Posts: 1136
Location: Poppy Fields
Mix and match is good in my book sir. Done a fair bit of it across bikes. Function rules over form for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:59 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 922
Location: Isle of Wight
I like the tyre colour looks nice, as for retro/modern mix, i'm a fan.
Oh and if you want to put some more retro on there, ano purple looks nice on a white frame and forks... Well Mrs Bob says so anyway :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 8479
Location: Fircombe.
I don't think I'd want to fit 20th century tyres to a modern bike, or old bike TBH, just cos they look OK...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:12 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:15 am
Posts: 1887
Location: Getting fitter, I will beat the Surrey Hills....
I think it looks pretty sweet! I am in the midst of a slow retro mod myself 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:29 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:05 pm
Posts: 9245
Probably the worst tyres from bitd. Offered no grip at all. They don't look right on that bike and it will wreck the handling.

Sorry, but that's a backward step.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:45 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:09 am
Posts: 1260
Location: Chiswick, London
Dr S wrote:
Probably the worst tyres from bitd. Offered no grip at all. They don't look right on that bike and it will wreck the handling.

Sorry, but that's a backward step.


The whole 'Wild-slipper' thing is definitely the main concern. Neither of us have previously ridden them and if they're as shocking as their reputation they're coming off (and probably up for sale if anyone's interested :wink: )

suburbanreuben wrote:
I don't think I'd want to fit 20th century tyres to a modern bike, or old bike TBH, just cos they look OK...


Personally I don't have a problem with the age of the rubber. I'm not exactly sure how old they are but they seem as solid as a brand new pair of tyres; no cracks or dryness or anything to suggest they're gonna fly off the rim.

Any other mix n' match modern/retro ideas?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:58 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
A modern should have some small part that is retro 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:40 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:11 pm
Posts: 8479
Location: Fircombe.
chiswickcollectables wrote:
Dr S wrote:
Probably the worst tyres from bitd. Offered no grip at all. They don't look right on that bike and it will wreck the handling.

Sorry, but that's a backward step.


The whole 'Wild-slipper' thing is definitely the main concern. Neither of us have previously ridden them and if they're as shocking as their reputation they're coming off (and probably up for sale if anyone's interested :wink: )

suburbanreuben wrote:
I don't think I'd want to fit 20th century tyres to a modern bike, or old bike TBH, just cos they look OK...


Personally I don't have a problem with the age of the rubber. I'm not exactly sure how old they are but they seem as solid as a brand new pair of tyres; no cracks or dryness or anything to suggest they're gonna fly off the rim.

Any other mix n' match modern/retro ideas?
Cracks and deterioration are the least of your problems. Modern rubber compounds are infinitely better than even the best 10 year old formulae. Wildgrippers were bad back then. Even if they're in perfect condition, they're probably best just being ogled/ stroked/ sniffed/ rubbed, or whatever your GF prefers.

Race Face turbine cranks never look out of place. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:41 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:09 am
Posts: 1260
Location: Chiswick, London
suburbanreuben wrote:
Cracks and deterioration are the least of your problems. Modern rubber compounds are infinitely better than even the best 10 year old formulae.



That's interesting to know.. I genuinely didn't think that rubber compounds had advanced so much. I guess it makes sense as many other things have progressed. I've got some of the re-issue Porc 2s Onza were selling recently; anybody know whether or not they updated the compound on those or if they're an exact copy of the originals?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group