MBUK, New Bike, Mini Rant

stevec1975

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just bought a new Scott Scale 30, this has disks and decent suspension, both of which are new to me, so I thought I would get down with the yoof and buy an MBUK to see whats going on in modern land (and it had a freebie beanie hat thing)

What the hell?, its all hucking this, jumping that, big air t'other, seems you need at least 6 inches of travel both ends and full body armour to even step out of the door, I wouldn't mind but most of the trails featured in the pics I could ride on my rigid without too many problems.

Am I getting old?
Whats going on?
Will I be shunned by these younger riders with their springs and stuff?

my toughts exactly they dont wanna no unless your bike is a £5000 d/h monster i havent bought it for a bit and was under impressed ok there is a vintage m/x magazine .. classic bike magazine ..cars lorries tractors SO WHY THE FECK IS THERE NO retro/classic mtb magazine :evil: :x

oldschool":yjwfbqr6 said:
my toughts exactly they dont wanna no unless your bike is a £5000 d/h monster i havent bought it for a bit and was under impressed ok there is a vintage m/x magazine .. classic bike magazine ..cars lorries tractors SO WHY THE FECK IS THERE NO retro/classic mtb magazine :evil: :x

When just a hundred or so people vote on the BOTM competitions this site runs, and we've never had more than 50(ish) turn up to a retro meet, exactly how much demand do you think there is for a retro specific magazine?

A mag for the masses and not just one for the youngens and the bikes they lust after might do well though.
I realise that "cutting edge" is where the big news stories are but surely something more mature with a bit of classic stuff and visits to trail centres
etc would have a chance at good sales.

You could try Privateer for a nod to the Retro scene. Has featured quite a few Retrobikers in it.

I'm not sure what you expected from MBUK! If anything its alot better than it was BITD. I quite enjoy a read now and again, the stuff the younger guys are doing is phenomenal!

I put down MBUK a few years ago when i too realised it was same old same old. Its a sheep'(s?) magazine now really. Goes hand in hand with pinkbike.

It depends on the issue. While the MBUK target audience is the younger generation and more towards the jumping scene, they still have issues with xc hardtails reviewed and more standard equipment. Even have the odd retro article!

Yeah it could have a forum too. Maybe organise group rides, offer merchandise.

Cant see it catching on personally

Back