Why baggy shorts?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Just wonder why baggy shorts are the default uniform for riding offroad - are they more comfortable than lycra? More practical? Fashion?

My guess is fashion, as I find traditional bike shorts are far more comfortable on me, so that's what I wear.

I started wearing baggy shorts for everything but racing all the way back in about 1994 for the simple reason that I liked to have some pockets for a small multi-tool, an inhaler and sometimes a map. All very practical on a day ride.

A couple of years later everyone seemed to be wearing baggies too.

I should therefore like to put myself forwards as an early pioneer of such things...

I think they offer better protection than lycra when I hit the deck... which isn't very often obviously :oops:

cos i look like a burk in lycra

like those MAMILS you see on skinny tyred road bikes

i think they also allow a gent to "dress" more elegantly

A picture says more than 1000 words on why I wear baggies

7715-Poland.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: myself..i am a proper bloke..45 years young..like a pint..like my food..extra "tog" rating and all that :LOL: ..i am afraid i am no "pencil neck"..baggys it is

I must point out that "pencil neck" is not meant to offend anybody ;)

Ernie ;)

like i said

i think they also allow a gent to "dress" more elegantly

7715-Poland.jpg
[/quote]

This image scares me on all sorts of levels..........It is soooooooooo wrong.What do these blokes think they look like ?

And baggy shorts look so much better.In fact I didn't think anyone still wore lycra.It is so 90's

Back