Orange R8

dicoverybmw

Retrobike Rider
Just picked up a 2011 Orange R8 frame in powder blue from Bikescene in Guisbourgh for £349, what a nice piece of Reynolds 853 lovelyness, probably sit and look at it all night instead of the telly!!!!

Can't decide how to build it up, components have changed a little since my last build, a 1997 P7 which incidentally cost more than the R8 frame, about £400 including the rigid forks if my memory serves me right, and from the same shop too!!!

I would go for an SLX or XT groupset inc brakes but if funds allow I would have Hope brakes.
Hope wheels, Stans or Mavic rims.
Thomson stem and seatpost in silver and a carbon bar.
Spoon saddle in tan colour.
Fork would either be a set of white Fox or white RS Reba's. :D

Finally got this frame built up and ended up spending far more than I intended!!! White Fox 100mm fork, Hope brakes, xtr 972 rear mech, 971 front mech, 970 shifters, mavic crossride wheels and a smattering of Hope and Orange finishing kit, really pleased with the end result, only ridden it round the block so far but going to give it a NY moors run out next week.

Not quite the bargain I first thought especially as last time I looked at a Bikescene advert same frame was selling for £249!!! But hey-ho, that's life, as regards the build spec I started building it on a budget with some Deore and Sram gear that I removed from my Specialized Fsr a couple of years ago but it spoiled the bike and the rest is history and an empty wallet!!!!

Back