Educate me please, FSR aheadset workings

not_fat_matt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My 99 FSR's headset hasnt been serviced since new, the bike was used a few times then sat unused for about 10 odd years

Since recently giving it a new lease of life i changed the stem, thus disturbing the headset, then i crashed it a few weeks ago and had to re-adjust it again, now it binds when the bars get to the 80/90 deg postion both ways.

Stripped it down today and there is rust between the steerer and the top race, degreased them all and the bearings are a bit graunchy :( i take it they should be nice and smooth?

If i do need to replace the set, can i just buy the bearings or do i need to remove and press in new bits to the frame?

Cheers for the link, cheaper and hopefully easier than what i thought it would be.

Adjustment is a pig at the mo, goes from having play to being too tight with the slightest turn of the bolt

Sounds like you either have crushed bearings, pitted races or both. If races are OK or it's a cartridge unit you can get away with changing bearings. Oherwise it's new headset time.

Or you assembled it incorrectly last time you put the fork in.

dbmtb":1x7msohp said:
Or you assembled it incorrectly last time you put the fork in.

The forks never been out, yesterday was the first time i'd ever taken an aheadset apart on any bike. Bearings seem suspect, the amount of corrosion and the fact there were droplets of water on the steerer (bike has been stood indoors for nearly a month!) and the lack of grease in the bearings themselves makes me think there may be pitting.

Another job on the list :)

bigmick":1vp4zu4f said:

Are these actually any good? They look really budget (and they are at £2.99), but I mean they look like they might not be hugely tough or reliable...? :?

I am more than happy to be told otherwise, though, as I need to press a headset into a frame at the moment and this would be pretty useful.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Whatleymeister":34jcfk5u said:
bigmick":34jcfk5u said:

Are these actually any good? They look really budget (and they are at £2.99), but I mean they look like they might not be hugely tough or reliable...? :?

I am more than happy to be told otherwise, though, as I need to press a headset into a frame at the moment and this would be pretty useful.
I've only used it twice, worked great so I've had my moneys worth lol
he also does a good fox bush tool
when i spoke to the guy a few weeks back he was planning to make a new version of headset tool

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
bigmick":2tb6wj4h said:
I've only used it twice, worked great so I've had my moneys worth lol
he also does a good fox bush tool
when i spoke to the guy a few weeks back he was planning to make a new version of headset tool
Sounds good enough for me! I might wait though and see what his revised press looks like. I might see if he does a removal tool too.

Anyway, sorry OP, back to the original post :oops: :roll:

Latest posts

Back