Cable disc brakes

bikesnoopy

Old School Hero
Ive heard that Avid BB5's are very good in the world of cable disc brakes.

How are they compared to hydraulics on power, weight & reliability.

My Hayes hydraulics need replacing & i like the idea of cable operated calipers. Im keen to know how theyve come on in the last 15 or so years.

Anyone got any opinions on them?

I just want a reliable, powerful & lightweight brake that doesn't cost a fortune.

:)

I've had both BB5's and BB7's and they're good, BB5's are around £35 each and usually BB7's are a fair bit more but i've just found this http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCAVBB7/avi ... -%28mtb%29 BARGAIN! :cool:

IMHO
Power = better than V's less than hydraulic
Reliability = Well, errrm, there isn't much to go wrong :LOL: Just tweek the cables when they stretch and changing the pads is easier than a errr easy to do thing.

BB7s are very cheap, very reliable, simple to set up and have very good stopping power. At just under £60 a pair new, including G3 rotors and IS adaptors you can't go wrong.

I installed them from necessity on my Marin (combined Shimano shifters/V brake levers made any other option too expensive/complicated). I have been so impressed I am fitting them to my new Cube build with some speed dial levers.

I've always used them with good quality (Gore ride-on in my case) cables but not tried them with "normal" cables.

Not tried BB5s but I suspect it's worth getting the BB7s...

I've not used hydraulics on my own bikes or BB5's but have BB7's on 3 bikes... Really nice feel and you can easily pick them up for £60.00 delivered for a set. :cool:
I like the ease of use, dodle to set up and very easy to maintain. They do need regular adjusting I find but thats simply turning either the inner or outer dial and away you go!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Same here.... Though bought a set from somewhere else and never got hit on taxes.

I asked for 203 & 180 discs and adapters and they only charged something like $10.00 more.

you're better with BB7s if you can afford as they have adjustment on both sides of the caliper.

Have just bought a pair of BB5's. . . brand new for £37 delivered.
I already have teflon coated cables & a pair of Avid Speed Dial levers.

. . . but what about weight ??? :?:

Weight difference would pretty much depend on which hydraulics you were comparing it to as there is such a range to choose from.

On paper the BB5 and BB7 are lighter than the Juicy 7 with the BB7 coming in slightly lighter than the BB5.

Back