Quick question, tyre width related.

naffa

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hope I'm in the right section.

I've just bought a pair of tyres off this forum they're 2" and 2.5" widths.

I use the bike for canal towpaths (getting muddier and wetter by the day), riding 1.3 miles to work and a few tarmac miles when I feel like it, but wanted some grippy tyres as the winter draws in.

Would I be best to put the wider tyre on the front or rear is my question?
Or wont it make a blind bit of difference?

Thanks Nathan

I'd put the wider one on the front for shock absorption and better steering control.

Depends what tyres they are though.....

I remember a couple years ago stock bikes came with bigger fron tyre. Think theyre pretty much all the same size now.

I always used to ride widest back, shortest front. On a front sus bike (call them retrobikes now as it as BiTD) as the shocks can then do some work while keeping my bottom comfy and extra rear grip.

To be honest for what you do, it's not going to be matter and I'd go for comfy bottom or as you've found out, what fits :)

Just looked at your link.

they are fornt and rear specific and easy to identify.
- Try-All Stiky 26" tyres, black, 2.0" Front and 2.5" Rear.

Thanks I hadn't looked to see if they were specific front and rear, jhust that they're directional.

Those are observed-trials-specific tyres, hence the enormous rear and tidgy front -- trials bikes spend most of their time on the back wheel, including having said back wheel lamped into edges and corners and rocks.

Back