Klein Mantra

bulldogbw2

Retro Newbie
Hi, I have a badarse frame here and I have one little problem with it in so much that the cable guide on the down tube has sheered off. What should I do?

I don't know the year of manufacture, it the following spec.

Forks Marzocchi Bomber JrT 2000 (Beautiful Fork, with plenty of travel)
Rear FOX rear suspension (without decals)
Front Brake Hope Mono Disc 165mm (Very Smooth)
Rear Brake Avid V-Brake with QUAD Lever
Front Mech Shimano XTR (FD-M952)
Rear Mech Shimano XT
Chainset Shimano XTR (FC-M952) (Chainrings in great condition)
BB Shimano XTR
Handlebars X-LITE
Bar Ends X-LITE
Headset X-LITE 'FLY' HEADLOCK (fantastic Headset)
Front Hub Shimano XT
Rear Hub Shimano STX-RC 8S PARALLAX (FH-MC38A) (Beautiful Retro Hub: Spins forever!)
Fron Wheel Mavic X317 Disc Rim
Tyre MYTHOSXE Tyre
Rear Wheel Bontrager Maverick ASYM Rim
Tyre Tioga Wonder Dawg Tyre
Pedals Wellgo
Saddle Club Roost cR SPORT
Serial Number C0D3###

The only thing other than the repair to the cable guide is that the colour isn't the greatest being black and has aged a bit.

I would like to fix this and get it back into the Klein spirit with a pearlescent job, I would like to hear people thoughts on a repaint of the bike and what to do about the decals please. Thanks.

Attachments

• Main.jpg
    Main.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 807
You have knowledge I don't. This is how I got it and it soak's up everything but it's alittle slow compared to new machine's for the same task, but I can tune it to be better given time but my interest's lie in social/fun riding so it's fine.

Answered, I hope so.

Re the downtube cable guide, do you still have it, or is it lost? If it's lost then you'll have to source a new one (from Trek?) and go to a frame repairers and get them to fit it on.

As for the fork comment. Frames are designed to take a certain amount of fork travel. Going above this can and does seriously effect the factory handling of the bike. The Klein Mantra is basically a do anything/xc bike and a couple of minutes research has revealed that keen Mantra riders tend to run 80-100mm forks. The JrT's are probably 120-140mm. If you're only riding fun rides you'll probably be fine.

Love the bike, always wanted one, so next year once I've gotten all the new dad panic out the way, I'll be looking for a mantra :D

Could always bodge the cable guide by cutting one off a manky old frame and bonding it on? Worth a try for free anyway...

If you want rid of those forks, let me know. Just the thing I'm after :eek:

On the down tube half of the guide snapped off somehow but amazingly the cable is still staying in contact so the functioning is unchanged. It has to be fixed.

Back