Clipless pedals. The Hilarity!

Scougar

Retrobike Rider
So I ordered myself some Shimano 520 clipless pedals and cheap muddyfox SPD compatible shoes. Let me first say... I'm NOT an experienced cyclist.

The feeling of not being in control... oh my gosh. I had them at the default settings and couldn't get a shoe out.. and fell to the wrong side. Oh man.. I could only laugh on the floor. The second time (15 mins later) I got cocky and tried to turn too tight.... cue me hitting the deck with a few cuts. And of course.. I laughed out loud again :-D

Suffice to say.. I have put all four springs in 'panic' mode (the loosest setting)... and that little thought in my head is saying "Were they necessary?"

All I can say is thank goodness the other day when I came off at about 15mph that I DIDN'T have these on! (luckily cyfa has serviced the bike since then ;-) )

i think they are great, once you get used to them you wont ride without them.

best to practice getting out of them before you head outside

bigmick":lr085w6s said:
...once you get used to them you wont ride without them...
Not necessarily...! I have only ever used clipless until I got my modern FS and have switched to flats... ;)

Once clipless, always clipless...unless you were dropped on your head as a child.

It's not long before you get used to the 'twisting heel of panic' that saves your neck in those situations. :)

Always flats for tricks though. :)

Always clipless back in the day, then a few years off the bike during which time my knees got even worse so onto flats. I tried clipless again last year, still sore on the inside of the knees.

So of course I have just bought some Time clipless to see if I can get on with them.

I haven't been using clipless that long but I really like them and you get used to them very quickly. Try using 'multi release' SH 56 cleats as well, they might help.

Just checked, mine are single release. SH51.

Btw... looking at the design of the pedals.. I've definately put them on LEft and Right correctly.. but they 'look' like they should be on the otherside... as it looks like you should more easily get them out the other side.

btw.. why do they damage your knees?

Latest posts

Back