Self Healing Inner tubes

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone any experience with the self sealing inner tubes (i.e that goo stuff in the inner tube)

Fancy putting some on my old mans bike, but it doesn't get ridden that much at all. Does the stuff inside go off? None of them seem to mention it (from my very quick brief look)

Recommended make/models?

:watches with interest:

I keep thinking of these for the Mrs three wheeled double buggy, I'm getting sick of repairing punctures on that.

they ok for push chairs but bobbins for bikes. very heavy and you can still get punctures. when they do puncture they are a twunt to clean too. if you must have extra protection the tube strips, that sit between tyre and tube, are better.

I put some slime into my kids buggy and it worked really well. I hear that with storage it can pool at the bottom of the tyre and take a while to work its way round. You can get special slime inner tubes which help.

Probably I'd just use heavier tyres.

jamabikes":12n0nmx6 said:
if you must have extra protection the tube strips, that sit between tyre and tube, are better.

I've had these, the only problem with them is that they get brittle and then puncture your innertube :?

If you fit them, then never remove them as if you deflate them to remove the slime can escape through the valve and gum up the valve. Its an utter bugger to clean and sometimes they work less well in fact one wouldn't reinflate no matter what I did.
Quite literally fit and forget is my recommendation ;)

I used a pair winter 2008. One still went down just not 100% flat So in the end had to replace.
I wouldn't bother with them is my 2p

Heavier and don't work that well in my experience. As above though they do take longer to go down when you get a puncture which is better than nothing I suppose.

Scarfacexxx08":2tfd3bo3 said:
jamabikes":2tfd3bo3 said:
if you must have extra protection the tube strips, that sit between tyre and tube, are better.

I've had these, the only problem with them is that they get brittle and then puncture your innertube :?

never heard of that, but if they do then wouldn't bother either :LOL:

i like getting punctures, means you can stop for 5 minutes :LOL:

Latest posts

Back